Safety Temperatures can prevent your home from going below a certain temperature by turning your heating on when the set limits are reached. This helps to ensure that your pipes won't freeze or that your home won't become damaged by excessive cold. Your Nest Thermostat will follow your Safety Temperature even if it's set to Off or Eco Temperatures, or your home is set to Away.
Safety Temperatures are great for helping to protect a second home if you have one. They can prevent the pipes from freezing while your home is unoccupied, even if the thermostat has been left in Off mode or doesn't have a heating schedule. You'll never have to worry whether you've set the thermostat correctly before you leave and, as long as your Nest thermostat is online, you can check your home's temperature from anywhere with the Nest app.
A Safety Temperature is different from the Eco Temperature set during thermostat setup. To learn more about Eco Temperatures, please follow the link below:
Safety Temperature Notifications
If the room temperature drops below the set Safety Temperature, your Nest thermostat will automatically start heating. You'll receive a push notification on your phone or tablet, as well as a message in the Nest app. Once the temperature has returned to a normal level, another notification will let you know.
Important: Notifications about Safety Temperatures rely on an active Wi-Fi and Internet connection in your home at the time of the notification. If your Wi-Fi network is down when the Safety Temperature is reached, you will not receive the notification. Your thermostat will continue to heat while your home Wi-Fi network is offline.
How to set Safety Temperatures
The Nest thermostat's default heating Safety Temperature is 4ºC/40ºF to prevent your home from freezing. You can set the Safety Temperature on your thermostat or with the Nest app:
On your thermostat
- Press the thermostat’s display to bring up the Quick View menu.
- Select the Settings icon .
- Choose Equipment.
- Press Continue on the Your System screen.
- Choose Safety Temp to view your Safety Temperature.
- Use the ring to select your heating Safety Temperature and press the ring to choose it. Turn the ring to change the temperature and press the ring to confirm your change. Note: You can disable your Safety Temperature by turning the dial to off when choosing a temperature.
- Choose Done to exit the menu.
With the Nest app
- Select your thermostat.
- Tap the Settings icon .
- Tap Equipment.
- Tap Safety Temperature.
- Drag the slider to your desired Safety Temperature.