Troubleshoot adding a Nest thermostat to the app
Here are some steps you can take if you’re having trouble adding a thermostat to your account in the Nest app. You might have trouble getting an Entry Key or see an Entry Key Error message on your thermostat.
If you’re able to connect your Google Nest thermostat to Wi-Fi,
Note: If you’re having trouble connecting your
Troubleshooting adding your Nest thermostat to the app:
1. Make sure your home Wi-Fi is working
Since your Nest thermostat uses your home Wi-Fi network, check that you can get online with another device in your home. You can visit nest.com to check if your connection is working. If you’re using a phone make sure you don’t use cellular data to test your connection.
Tip: To help make sure you’re not using cellular data, turn on Airplane mode and then turn on Wi-Fi.
If you can’t connect, try using a different device to double check. If you can’t connect with any device, contact your internet service provider to check the service status in your area.
2. Check the status of the Nest service
Click here to check the status of the Nest service.
If the Nest service is down, you won’t be able to add your thermostat to your account in the app. You may also see The Nest service can’t be reached right now in the Nest app.
When the Nest service comes back online, you'll be able to add your thermostat to your account in the app.
3. Check your app version
Make sure that you have the latest version of the Nest app on your phone or tablet. You can download it for free from the .
For the latest information about the app and how to update it, visit the following article:
4. Restart your Nest thermostat
Restarting your thermostat will refresh your connection.
1. On your thermostat, Select Settings Reset Restart.
4. Turn the ring until Ok appears on the screen and press to restart.
After your thermostat has finished restarting, try adding it to your account in the app again.
On the Nest thermostat:
1. Press the ring to bring up the Quick View menu.
2. Turn the ring to Settings and press to select.
3. Choose Nest app Get Entry Key.
4. Your thermostat should show you a 7-character key to enter in the Nest app.
With the app:
1. Tap the Settings in the top right corner of the screen.
2. Tap Add product then select Nest thermostat.
3. Follow the Nest app's instructions. When prompted, type in the Entry Key shown on your thermostat.
5. Restart your router
Restarting your router will reset your internet connection. You should also restart any Wi-Fi range extenders or repeaters.
Here's how to restart your router:
1. Unplug your modem and router power cords. You may have a combination modem/router, or they may be separate devices. All the lights on your modem and router should be off.
2. Wait for 30 seconds, then plug your modem and router back in.
3. Your modem and router will restart. Wait a couple of minutes or until you see steady power and connection lights. You may also see a quickly flashing data light.
4. Try to add your Nest thermostat to your account in the app again.
Note: Every router is different. You may need to consult your router’s user manual for specific instructions on how to restart your router.
6. Check the settings on your Wi-Fi router or access point
Not being able to add your Nest thermostat to your account in the app can be a result of incompatible settings on your home Wi-Fi router or access point.
Parental controls or firewall security
High firewall security or parental controls can block communication with Nest servers.
Refer to your Wi-Fi router/access point documentation to see how you can exempt the Nest thermostat from these restrictions.
If you still can’t connect your thermostat after checking your parental controls or lowering your firewall, make sure you’re using settings that allow your thermostat to connect to your account in the app. Follow this link for more information:
7. Check the incompatible list
If after you check your router’s settings you’re still having trouble adding your thermostat to your account in the app, check that your router or modem is not on the incompatible list.
Note: Even if your router is on the incompatible list, some incompatibility problems can be resolved by changing your router settings or by updating firmware.