A small number of our customers may not be able to see their Google Nest camera in the Nest app, or they may appear in the wrong home. There are several reasons for this problem and several ways to fix it.
Here’s a summary of possible causes and their solutions, starting with the most likely and easy to fix. More detailed troubleshooting steps can be found below:
- Make sure that you're viewing the right home in the Nest app.
- If all your Nest products are grouped together correctly but the homes have been switched, simply rename your homes.
- If you are a Google Nest Aware subscriber, give us a call so that we can help move your cameras for you. Moving your camera will delete your video history, so save your clips beforehand. You should be able to move your other Nest products yourself.
- If you don't have a paid Nest Aware subscription, remove your cameras from the app and re-add them in the right home.
1. Make sure that you're viewing the right home in the Nest app
2. Change your home's name and information
If all your Nest products are grouped together correctly but are merely in the wrong home, you can change your home’s name and information. Here’s how:
- On the Nest app home screen, tap Settings .
- At the top of the next menu, tap Home info.
- You’ll want to check and change all the menu items here, starting with your home’s name. You should also make sure that everything in the About sub-menu, such as the type, size and construction, is also updated. This is especially important if you have a Nest thermostat, as this information is used to help save energy.
- Update the address as well to ensure correct local weather, temperature schedules, and Energy History and Protect History.
- Lastly, if you're a Rush Hour Rewards participant, check that your home's energy company is correct.
3. If you have a paid Nest Aware subscription, contact us:
If you have a paid subscription, please call our support team. We’ll fix any problems for you. We'll only need some basic information about your account and where you want your cameras moved to. Moving your camera to a different home will delete your video history, so make sure that you create clips or timelapses and download them before moving your camera.
In some cases, it may be that your cameras are in the right home, but your other Nest products aren’t. You can move your other products to the right home without affecting your video history. However, moving them may cause your Protect History and Energy History to be reset, and your next Home Report results will also be affected. To move one of your other Nest products, you’ll need to remove it from the app and add it back in the right home.
When you add a Nest product back to your account, also make sure that the right home is active in the Nest app. You can check which one is active by looking at the name beneath the home icon on the Nest app home screen. To switch, tap the Menu icon and select the right home.
4. If you don't have Nest Aware, remove and re-add your cameras
If you don’t have a paid Nest Aware subscription, the easiest way to fix the issue is to remove your cameras from the app, then add them back in the right home. Since camera setup is simple, this should only take a few minutes. Here’s how:
For more details, please see the following article:
After you’ve removed your cameras, please switch to the home where you’d like to move your cameras.
- On the Nest app home screen, tap the Menu at the top-left corner.
- Select the home that you want at the bottom of the screen. You’ll be automatically taken back to the Nest app homepage.
Now add each camera to the right home.