Beginner's guide to using the Nest thermostat
You’ll learn the basics of how to use your Google Nest thermostat, change settings, set temperature schedules, save energy, control it with your phone, and more.
Download documents for your thermostat
Nest thermostats include a few printed materials in the box to familiarize you with the product and installation, but you should follow the installation instructions in the Nest app which will also provide you with the right wiring diagram for your system.
Each thermostat has different guides. If you’re not sure which thermostat you have, see this article: How to tell which Nest thermostat you have
Nest Thermostat E
- Installation Guide (11 pages, 0.5MB)
3rd generation Nest Thermostat
2nd generation Nest Thermostat
1st generation Nest Thermostat
- Installation Guide (7 pages, 0.5MB)
Note: These guides should open directly in your browser. If you’re having trouble viewing them, you may need to download and install a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat Reader.
How to install and set up your thermostat
The app will guide you through thermostat installation and setup step-by-step. It will also give you a custom wiring diagram that you'll need for installation.
To get a preview of what you’ll need for installation, read our installation article or watch an installation video. Select your thermostat below:
Nest thermostat basics
Nest thermostats don’t have a touch screen. Use it just
Here are the most important articles to familiarize yourself and get you comfortable with using your thermostat:
- How to control your thermostat with the Nest app
- How to manually set your Nest thermostat to heating, cooling, Eco Temperatures or off
- Learn about what you’ll see on your Nest thermostat (including icons, Farsight, and notifications)
- Learn about Nest thermostat settings and how to change them
Learn how to save energy with your thermostat
There are a few ways to save energy with your thermostat like setting Eco Temperatures when no one’s home, reviewing your Home Report to monitor your energy use, or joining an energy saving program.
- How to improve energy savings with your Nest thermostat
- Learn about the Nest Home Report email we send you
- Learn about energy saving programs from our partners
Learn about thermostat temperature schedules
Your thermostat starts learning on day one and it’s up to you to teach your Nest thermostat good habits to help save energy. You can set your own heating or cooling schedules or have your thermostat Auto-Schedule for you.
- How Nest thermostats learn and how to teach it
- Learn about Nest thermostat temperature schedules and how to change them
- How to use your Nest thermostat as a traditional programmable thermostat
- How to reset your temperature schedule
- Learn how Eco temperatures work
Learn how your thermostat works
Your Nest thermostat has a few different features that can keep you feeling comfortable. For instance, Early-On pre-heats or cools to reach your scheduled temperature on time. You can also set Safety Temperatures, which prevents your home from going above or below certain temperatures, and learn about the other ways your thermostat works.
- Learn about Early-On and how to change settings
- How Safety Temperatures work
- Learn about Filter reminders
- Learn about Furnace Heads-Up
- Learn about Airwave
- Learn about Sunblock
- Learn about the Nest thermostat’s Technical Info menu
Common troubleshooting issues after set up
These articles cover the most common issues you may encounter after setting up your Nest thermostat. This is not an extensive list so if you don’t find what you’re looking for below, there are other troubleshooting articles that you can find using the search bar above.
- What to do when you see an error code
- Troubleshooting Wi-Fi and connection issues
- Troubleshooting widget for common issues (e.g. powering on, heating/cooling)
- How to restart or reset the Nest thermostat
If you moved into a home with a Nest thermostat already installed
If you moved into a home that already has a Nest thermostat installed, follow these steps to remove the previous owner’s settings.