The symptoms related to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can be misdiagnosed, as they are similar to flu symptoms. If your alarm sounds, react accordingly even if you don’t notice the effects.
According to the U.S. National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the following symptoms are related to carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Mild Exposure:
Slight headache, nausea, vomiting, fatigue (often described as 'flu-like' symptoms).
- Medium Exposure:
Severe throbbing headache, drowsiness, confusion, fast heart rate.
- Extreme Exposure:
Unconsciousness, convulsions, cardiorespiratory failure, death.
All members of the household should be familiar with these symptoms. Many cases of reported carbon monoxide poisoning indicate that while victims are aware they are not well, they become so disoriented they are unable to save themselves by either exiting the building or calling for assistance.
According to the Center for Disease Control, certain groups, such as pets, children, and people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems, are more susceptible to its effects.
A carbon monoxide alarm, like Google Nest Protect, will alert you if the levels of carbon monoxide in your home are unsafe.
Even if you don't notice the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning, you should take proper precautions if your alarm goes off.