What happens during an energy Rush Hour
If you’ve signed up for the Rush Hour Rewards program, you’ll get a message from the Nest app and on your thermostat that your power company has scheduled a Rush Hour. Your thermostat will look at your usual temperature schedule and tune the heating or cooling up or down a few degrees to save more energy when there’s a high demand.
Here are all the details of what happens before, during, and after a Winter or Summer Rush Hour. Remember, you don’t have to do anything during a Rush Hour, it all happens automatically, and your thermostat will return to your usual temperature schedule once the Rush Hour is over.
If you haven’t signed up for Rush Hour Rewards with your power company, nothing will happen. You won’t see any of the Rush Hour messages and you won’t receive any rewards from your power company. To learn more, see the article below.
What happens before the Rush Hour
- Your power company will predict a large rise in demand for electricity caused by a cold snap or heat wave. To help relieve demand and prevent possible brownouts and blackouts, an Energy Rush Hour will be scheduled and sent to all Google Nest Thermostats in the Rush Hour Rewards program.
2. You’ll get a message on your Nest Thermostat and from the
3. Before the Rush Hour begins, you may see a gold gear on
Note: You’ll only see pre-cooling or heating for a morning Rush Hour if you have Early-On enabled on your thermostat. This is to help prevent you from being woken up by a noisy system or a change in your home’s usual temperature.
What happens during the Rush Hour
- You’ll see a gold gear with a Nest Leaf inside and the words ENERGY RUSH HOUR on your Nest Thermostat’s display and in the Nest app.
- Your thermostat will adjust your home’s temperature up or down a few degrees, possibly more if you’re away.
You’re always in control, so if you’re uncomfortable, you
When you change the temperature, your Nest Thermostat
What happens after the Rush Hour
- When the Rush Hour is over, your Nest Thermostat will return to its regular temperature schedule.
- You’ll be able to spot the temperatures that were changed during the Rush Hour in your Energy History the next day. They’ll be highlighted by a gold ring.
How to see your Energy History >
- More info about your energy savings from Rush Hour Rewards will also be available in your monthly Home Report.