Google Nest Protect’s Wireless Interconnect allows all Nest Protects to talk to one another, letting you know what’s happening in other parts of the house during an alert or Emergency Alarm. If a smoke or carbon monoxide (CO) event is detected at one Nest Protect, all Nest Protects that are interconnected in your home will sound the alarm.
For example, if there’s smoke in the bedroom, all the Nest Protects in your home will tell you that there’s smoke in the bedroom and sound the alarm. So you’ll also hear the spoken message and alarm from the Protects you have installed in other areas of your home, like your kitchen and living room.
How Nest Protects connect to each other
Interconnected smoke alarms traditionally needed to be hardwired and were expensive to install as a retrofit. To make it easier, all Nest Protects are interconnected wirelessly, whether you have Nest Protects (Wired 120V or 230V) or Nest Protects (Battery).
Nest Protects connect wirelessly using a Nest-developed protocol called Weave that uses 802.15.4 and Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n. It uses both connections together to create reliable, flexible, secure and low-power communication between Protects. This allows multiple Protects to remain connected to one another even if your home’s Wi-Fi gets disconnected.
What Weave means for Nest Protect
You can think of the 802.11b/g/n protocol as the connection that communicates with the outside world and performs tasks like automatically updating your Nest Protect software or allowing you to get mobile notifications on your phone.
Weave lets Nest Protects communicate with one another safely and securely without an active Wi-Fi connection. This means your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms will continue to talk to one another, letting you know what’s happening in other parts of the home when smoke or carbon monoxide is detected, even if Wi-Fi goes down.
When does Wireless Interconnect work
- Nest Protects must be set up and connected to the app for them to be interconnected.
How to set up Nest Protect with the app >
- All your Nest Protects will remain interconnected even if your Wi-Fi network goes down. Protects do not rely on Wi-Fi for interconnect, they use Thread instead. However, if your Wi-Fi goes down, you won’t be able to get notifications, view status, or update settings in the app.
- Nest Protect Wired (120V or 230V) and Nest Protect (Battery) are compatible and can interconnect with each other.
- All your Nest Protects can communicate if they’re within 50 ft (15 m) of each other inside a home. If wireless interference or range is an issue, add more Nest Protects.
When does Wireless Interconnect not work
- Nest Protect can’t communicate or interconnect with smoke or carbon monoxide alarms from other manufacturers.
- Nest Protect is not designed to be used outdoors and can’t transmit between buildings.
- Metal doors can interfere with wireless signals. So make sure you test your Protects with metal doors opened and closed to determine if there’s any interference.
- Some features of a home may reduce the range of your Protects, including the number of floors, number/size of rooms, furniture, type of building material, suspended ceilings, ductwork, large metallic appliances and metal studs. This kind of interference can be overcome by adding more Nest Protects that can route wireless signals around obstructions.
Learn about wireless interference and how to troubleshoot it >
How to check that your Nest Protects are interconnected
You can check the Nest app to make sure all your Nest Protects are online. To check if Wireless interconnect is working on your Protects, run a manual test by pushing the large “Nest” button on any connected Nest Protect. Then confirm that all other Nest Protects respond by sounding an alarm test sequence and announcing that "everything is OK". See the article below for details and troubleshooting.
Note: Heads-Up, Emergency Alarm or a manual test can take a few seconds to move from one Nest Protect to other Nest Protects. In the same way, when you hush an alert, it will take a few seconds for all the other Nest Protects in your home to hush.