You may need to restart Nest Guard if there’s an issue with its Wi-Fi connection or if it’s unresponsive. Generally, a factory reset shouldn't be done unless you’ve already removed Guard from your account in the Nest app.
Restart Nest Guard
- With the app or Nest Guard, set Google Nest Secure to Off , or the alarm may sound.
- Press and hold the 5 button on Guard’s keypad until its light ring starts to spin blue (about 10 seconds).
- After a few seconds the light ring should turn off.
Guard should restart and say, “Hi, from Nest.” After the restart, Nest Secure should arm to the same level it was set to before it was restarted. If Guard was sounding the alarm, it should resume to sound the alarm. To silence the alarm, use the Nest app, enter your passcode on Guard or use your Nest Tag.
A factory reset should only be done in rare cases for troubleshooting.
- After reset, you will need go through the setup process again if you want to use Nest Secure.
- If you reset Nest Guard while your Nest Detects are offline, the Nest Detects will appear as offline in the Nest app.
- If the Nest Detects are online at the time of the reset, they will be removed from your account.
Note: As a security precaution, a factory reset can’t be done if Nest Secure is armed in Home and Guarding or Away and Guarding, speaking a Heads-Up, sounding the alarm or if the battery is critically low.
- Remove Nest Secure from your account in the Nest app.
- Set Nest Secure to Off with Nest Guard’s keypad, or the alarm may sound.
- Press and hold the 2 button on Guard’s keypad. Do not release the button while Guard goes through a software version and check.When Guard says, “Release to erase all settings,” let go of the button.
- Guard will speak again and say, “Erasing all settings and returning to factory defaults in five seconds. Press any button to cancel.”
- The light ring should turn yellow and begin a 5-second countdown.
- To cancel the reset, press any button before the countdown ends. If you don’t cancel, the light ring will spin blue and Guard will say, “Erasing all settings. This might take a minute."
- When it’s about to restart, it should say, "Nest Guard is restarting. Be right back."
To continue to use Nest Guard, follow the instructions on how to add it back to your account in the Nest app in the Nest Secure User’s Guide.