If you change your Wi-Fi password, name or security settings, or install a new router, you'll need to make sure the Wi-Fi information in the Google Home or Nest app is up-to-date. Otherwise, your Nest camera or doorbell can't connect to the internet. Use the app you set up your camera or doorbell with.
Try the same network name and password
The simplest fix for most Nest products is to update your home network so that the network name (SSID) and password are the same as before. This will usually work even if you've purchased a new Wi-Fi router as long as the manufacturer settings are the same.
If this doesn't work, or you want to keep your new network name or password, you'll need to update the Wi-Fi details on each of your Nest products.
Use the Google Home app
In the Home app, Wi-Fi information for cameras and doorbells can't be updated, so you'll need to factory reset your device and set it up again in the app. In most cases, you'll remove your device from the app and add it back.
Important: Make sure to save any important video clips before you start. When you remove your device from the app and factory reset it, you'll lose your video history.
Tip: If you set up your camera in the Home app (and it isn't compatible with the Nest app) and you want to keep your video history, don't remove your device from the app. Factory reset your device manually and set it up in the Home app as a new device. You'll have two versions of your device in the Home app, one with older video, and one with new video.
- Open the Google Home app .
- Tap Favorites or Devices .
- Tap and hold your device's tile More Settings .
- Tap Remove Device.
- If your device was online, it will factory reset automatically when you remove it from the app.
- If your device was offline, you must also factory reset it manually
- Wait for the device to finish the factory reset.
- Tap Devices Add New Device .
- Continue to set up your camera or doorbell with the new Wi-Fi information.
Use the Nest app
In the Nest app, you can usually update Wi-Fi information over Bluetooth.
Go to the same room as your camera, and turn on your phone's Bluetooth, then follow the steps below.
- On the Nest app home screen, tap Settings .
- Select Home info then Home Wi-Fi help.
- Note: If you don't find Home Wi-Fi help, you'll need to remove your camera from the app and add it back with new Wi-Fi information. You'll lose your video history so make sure to save any important video clips before removing your camera.
- Select the camera you want to update.
- Tap Start Update settings.
Follow the on-screen instructions. Scan the QR code on the back of your camera when prompted.
Troubleshoot Nest app Wi-Fi update
If your camera needs to be set up over USB, if you didn't find Home Wi-Fi help, or the above steps didn't work for you, you'll need to remove your camera from the app and add it back with new Wi-Fi information.
Important: Make sure to save any important video clips before you remove a camera from the app. Once a camera is removed, all of its recorded video history will be permanently deleted. Also, if your camera is the only device covered under a Google Nest Aware subscription, make sure to stop auto-renewal (or cancel a 1st gen Nest Aware subscription) before you remove your camera from the app.
To learn how to save video clips, go to How to create, share and view video clips and timelapses.
- To remove your camera, sign in to the Nest app.
- On the app home screen, tap Settings .
- Tap the camera you'd like to remove.
- Scroll down and select Remove camera.
- You'll then be asked to confirm your choice.
- To add your camera back, on the app home screen, tap Settings .
- Tap Add product . Follow the instructions in the app.
Learn how to Set up your camera on a computer