How to change the location or room name of your Nest product in the app
When you first set up a product with the Nest app, you’ll tell the app where you’re installing it. The location is important because the app will use it for notifications that let you know what’s happening in your home. You can change the location name or add a custom label at any time in the product’s settings in the app.
Important things to know about location names
- Any notifications spoken by your Nest products cannot use custom names or labels. If you use a custom option for your Nest product, like your Google Nest Protect, the app will ask “Nest Protect can’t say custom names. What should it say instead?” You should select the room name that best describes your custom name.
For instance, during an Emergency Alarm, you will hear “Emergency. There’s smoke in the Garage.” But push notifications and emails will use your custom name and label, so you will see “Home: [custom name] (label) There is smoke.” on your phone.
- Each Nest product will have slightly different room and location names to choose from. While many locations will be common to all products, you may notice that some locations are specific to the type of product. For example, Google Nest Detect and Google Nest × Yale Lock have an extra placement: Door (or Window depending on the Detect’s settings).
How to change location name
Using the right location or room name is important, because when you have Spaces view on, it helps organize your Nest products by room in the app. The name also affects what you see in app notifications so be sure to select one that makes sense. If you are physically moving your product’s location, it’s simple to change it at any time in the app.
- Tap Settings on the app home screen.
- Select the product you want to rename from the list. You may need to scroll down to see it. For Google Nest Guard and Nest Detect, select Security , then your product.
- Depending on your Nest product, tap Where or Placement.
You have two options here.
Select Where to see a list of suggested locations. Each Nest product may have different room names and locations to choose from.
Tap to choose a name, or scroll down to the end of the list and choose Custom. Selecting custom lets you type in any name you like. For example, you can name your camera something like "Art Studio" to better match its location. However, we recommend only using a custom location when you have a unique space in your home that you don’t want to confuse with another room in the default list.
Select Label to type in a custom label that will appear next to the location name in parentheses. This can be helpful if you have more than one Google Nest camera, Protect, Google Nest thermostat or other Nest product.
For example, you have two cameras with “Bedroom” as their location. You might add the label "Guest" to one camera and "Master" to the other.
- If you have a Nest Detect or Nest × Yale Lock, you’ll see an additional option.
Select Door or Window. The app will ask you if you’re moving the Nest Detect to a new spot or updating its info.
- Tap updating info if you just want to update the location name. Then tap to choose a name, or scroll down to the end of the list and choose custom. Selecting custom lets you type in any name you like.
- Tap moving if you’re moving your Nest Detect’s physical location. Follow the instructions in the app to set up your Detect in a new location.
Nest x Yale Lock
Select Door to see a list of suggested locations.
- Tap to choose a name, or scroll down to the end of the list and choose Custom. Selecting custom lets you type in any name you like.