It’s simple to move a Nest camera or doorbell to a different spot in your home, but you may want to give it a new location name with the app. Moving a camera to another home or country is more complex, especially if you have a Nest Aware subscription.
Move to a different place in the same home
To move your camera or doorbell to another spot in the same home, and connect to the same Wi-Fi network:
- Unplug or disconnect your camera or doorbell from power, if needed.
- Remove any screws and mounting plates if you’ve used them. Refer to the uninstall the mounting plate and other hardware section below for details.
- Take your camera or doorbell to its new location, and connect it to power if needed. Note: For a Nest Doorbell (wired), you’ll need to have a wired doorbell and chime already installed at its new location.
- Your device will try to automatically reconnect to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Test the Wi-Fi connection before remounting it. Hold your device exactly where it will be mounted and check the video stream with the app. If you don’t see video or the video is low quality, adjust the location until you get a good connection. If that doesn’t help, follow the troubleshooting suggestions in this article:
Troubleshoot Wi-Fi interference
- Reinstall your camera or doorbell with the same screws and mounting accessories.
- Update your camera or doorbell’s location name with the app.
Move to a new home with same Wi-Fi
If you move to a new home and take your Nest camera and Wi-Fi router with you, simply connect your router to the internet with the same network name and password as before. When you plug in your Nest camera, it will remember how to connect to your Wi-Fi.
If you change your network name and password, or if you get a new Wi-Fi router when you move — for example, if you change internet service providers — you'll need to update your Nest camera’s settings so that it knows how to connect to your network.
Move to another home in the app
If you have more than one home in the Google Home or Nest app, you can move a camera or doorbell from one home to another. Simply remove it from your account in the app, select the new home in the app, then follow your device’s set up instructions.
Important: If you have a Nest Aware subscription, there are a few other things you’ll need to do. This is because subscriptions are not only attached to your camera, they’re also attached to the home it’s in. Follow the steps in Manage homes and products in the Nest app.
Move to another country
We don’t recommend using your Nest camera in a different country than where it was purchased:
- If you have a Nest Aware subscription, moving from one country to another can cause complications with billing and services.
- Nest cameras are optimized to work best with specific Wi-Fi standards depending on where they were sold. This means that your Nest camera may experience decreased performance if you move it to a different country, and it may not comply with regulations there.