Each of your Nest products has its own MAC address: a unique combination of letters and numbers that a device uses to identify itself on a Wi-Fi network, just like a computer. MAC address filtering is used as a security measure to prevent any unknown devices from joining the network.
- If your Wi-Fi router has MAC address filtering enabled, you can temporarily disable it while you connect your Nest product. Follow the MAC address filtering instructions in your router’s manual.
- Continue setup with the app to connect your Nest product.
- Once your Nest product is connected to Wi-Fi, look up the MAC address in the app by following the instructions below.
- Add your Nest product’s MAC address to the router’s whitelist so that it won’t get blocked from joining the network.
- Turn the router’s MAC address filtering back on.
Your Nest product must be connected to Wi-Fi for the MAC address to be listed in the app.
Google Home app
- Open the Google Home app .
- Touch and hold your device's tile.
- At the top right, tap Settings Device information.
- The MAC address should be listed under Technical information. If it’s not, check the device’s Wi-FI connection.
- Open the Nest app .
- Tap Settings at the top-right corner of the Nest app home screen.
- Select the product that you want to check.
- Tap Technical info. You’ll find the MAC address next to MAC or Wi-Fi MAC. Note: Don’t use the serial number next to 802.15.4 MAC. That’s the address that Nest products use to communicate directly with one another over a low-power wireless connection.
Get the MAC address for older cameras or thermostats
Some older Nest products have their MAC address on the device itself. If yours does not, use the app instructions above.
If you have an older Nest Cam Indoor or Outdoor, you can find the MAC address on the product label. The camera’s MAC address is the same as its serial number, which is printed on the back (Nest Cam Indoor) or underside (Nest Cam Outdoor) of your camera.
Early Nest thermostats have their MAC address listed in their Network menu. Your thermostat must be installed and connected to power before you can access the MAC address.
- Press the thermostat’s ring to bring up the Quick View menu.
- Turn the ring to scroll to Settings and press the ring to select.
- Select Technical info, then Network.
- Scroll down to find your thermostat’s MAC address.