Make calls with your Google Nest display
You can make and receive calls on your Google Nest display. In the US and UK, your Nest display supports audio and video calling for mobile and Duo.
For steps to set up mobile calling, go here.
To set up Duo calling in the US, UK, or Australia, follow the steps below.
Note: The phone or tablet being used to contact your Nest display must have a camera in order for video calling to work.
Set up Duo calling
If you haven’t set up Duo yet on your Smart Display, follow these steps.
Important: If you already use Duo, make sure you connect your Google Account to your Duo phone number in the Duo app on your phone before following these steps.
- On your mobile device, open the Google Home app .
- In the bottom right corner, tap Account .
- Verify that the Google Account that is listed is the one linked to Google Home. To switch accounts, click the triangle to the right of the account name.
- Tap Settings Services Voice and Video calls Video & Voice Apps.
- Tap Google Duo, then follow the steps to finish setting up Duo calling.
If you have trouble with Duo after setting up your Smart Display, learn how to fix common problems.
To control your video call, use your voice or your screen.
Important: You must turn on personal results to call your contacts.
Start a call
- Say "Call [contact]" or "Video call [contact]."
- If you see a missed call on the screen, tap it.
End a call
- Say "End the call" or "Hang up."
- Tap End call.
Mute or unmute a call
- Say "Mute call" or "Unmute call."
- Tap Mute .
Answer or decline a call
- Say "Answer the call" or tap Answer.
- Say "Decline the call" or tap Decline.
Send a video message using Duo on Google Nest Max Hub
You can send a video message using Google Duo on your Google Home Hub Max. When you send a video message, the person you’re sending it to can view it on the Duo app or from their Nest Hub or Hub Max devices.
Note: The recipient of your message needs to have Duo set up. You can download the Duo app for free at the Google Play Store (Android) or the App Store (iOS).
- Say “Hey Google, send a video message to [contact name]."
- An on-screen timer will count down from 3, so you can get ready.
- Record your video message.
- Note: Video messages have a 30 second time limit.
- Say “Hey Google, stop recording.” or tap the Stop button.
- You can review your message before sending by tapping Play.
- If you want to re-record your message, tap or say “Re-record.”
- Tap or say “Send” to send the message.
Call your Smart Display
You can call your Smart Display from your phone.
- Make sure you have the Google Assistant on your phone.
- Make sure you have Duo set up on your phone and your Google Account connected to your Duo phone number.
- Make sure you are using the same Google Account with Duo on your phone and on your Smart Display.
- On your phone, start a conversation with the Google Assistant and say "Video call [Smart Display name] or "Video call home."
Unlink Duo from your Smart Display
For instructions on how to unlink the Duo app from your Smart Display, go here.