You can listen to audiobooks from Google Play Books on your Google Nest or Google Home speaker or display.
Step 1. Buy and download audiobooks
You can explore and buy available audiobooks to listen to on your speaker or display.
- Open the Google Play Books App .
- Tap Shop search for an audiobook.
- To learn more about an audiobook, tap the cover image.
- To buy the audiobook, tap the price Buy Audiobook.
Download using Wi-Fi only
To avoid data charges, you can download audiobooks using Wi-Fi only. To turn this feature on or off:
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Play Books app .
- At the top left, tap Menu Settings Download over Wi-Fi only.
Listen to a sample and buy
If you don’t already own an audiobook, you can play a sample on your speaker or display. At the end of the sample, you will have the option to buy it.
- Set up a payment method if you haven’t already.
- To start the sample, say “Read <audiobook title>.”
- At the end of the sample, the Assistant will ask if you want to buy the audiobook.
- To buy the book, say “Yes” the Assistant will help you complete your purchase.
Step 2. Listen to audiobooks using voice commands
Make sure you’re signed in to the same Google Account you used to buy audiobooks from Google Play.
|To do this...||Say "Ok Google" or “Hey Google,” then..|
|Continue playing most recently listened to audiobook||“Read my book”|
|Request an audiobook from your Library||"Read <audiobook title>"|
|Skip ahead||“Skip <amount of time>”|
|Skip back||“Go back <amount of time>”|
|Play previous chapter||“Previous chapter”|
|Play next chapter||"Next chapter"|
|Change the playback speed||“Play at 2x speed,” “Play slower/faster, “Play twice as fast, “Play at half the speed”|
|How much time is left in the book||“How much time is left?”|
|Find out the author||“Who wrote this?”|
|Control volume||"Set volume to 5", "Set volume to 40%"|
|Play audiobooks on your speakers, TV, or video device. Note: Device linking is required.||“Read my book on living room TV”, “Read <audiobook title> on Chromecast”|
Voice Match and audiobooks
If you’ve set up Voice Match, you can listen to the audiobooks you’ve bought. Guests or housemates can listen to audiobooks purchased by the first person who set up Voice Match. Here’s more on Voice Match and media.
You can also use Family Library on Play to share audiobooks across family members.To allow others in your household to listen to your audiobooks, set up Family Library. Then anyone who’s set up Voice Match can listen to shared purchases in the Family Library.