Play YouTube TV using Google Nest or Google Home and Chromecast
Ready to start watching content with your Google Nest or Google Home speaker or display and YouTube TV? Learn how to set up and use YouTube TV with your device. This feature is only available in the U.S.
Step 1. Set up Chromecast and your Google Nest or Google Home device
- Set up Chromecast.
- Set up Google Home, Google Nest Mini (2nd gen), Google Home Mini (1st gen), Google Home Max, Google Nest Hub, Google Nest Hub Max.
Step 2. Link Chromecast using the Google Home appLink TVs using the Google Home app
- Open the Google Home app .
- In the bottom right corner of the Home screen, tap Account .
- Verify that the Google Account that is listed is the one linked to your device. To switch accounts, click the triangle to the right of the account name.
- Make sure your Chromecast is set up and on the same Wi-Fi network as your speaker or display.
- Tap More settings TVs and Speakers . You'll see a list of linked devices.
- To link a new Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built-in, tap in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- The Google Home app will search for voice-supported TVs on the same Wi-Fi network as your Google Home.
- To add a device, tap the checkbox next to the device name. You can select multiple devices. Tap Add.
- You'll see all your linked devices within the "TVs and speakers" section of the Google Home app .
Once you've linked your devices, you're ready to begin using voice commands to control YouTube TV.
- To use YouTube TV and your speaker or display together, sign in to the same Google Account on YouTube TV and on your device.
- If you're part of a YouTube TV family plan or sharing your speaker or display with other YouTube TV members, make sure to sign in to your personal Google Account on your device to use your own YouTube TV library and viewing preferences. Learn more about linking your Google account and your voice to your device.
Common voice commands
Ready to watch? Here are some things you can say to your Google Assistant on your device:
|To do this:||Say "Ok Google" or "Hey Google," then...|
|Play a live TV channel||"Play MSNBC on YouTube TV"|
Play a TV show
|"Play This Is Us on YouTube TV"
"Play the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy on YouTube TV"
|Play a movie||"Play <movie> on YouTube TV"|
|Play a sports game||"Play the <MLB game> on YouTube TV"
"Play the <sports team> game on YouTube TV"
|Record a show||"Record Empire"|
|Turn off closed captions||"Turn off closed captions"|
|Rewind or fast forward||"Rewind [xx mins yy seconds]"
"Fast forward [xx mins yy seconds]"
Tips and tricks to play content on your TVTroubleshoot voice commands
If your device is having trouble with accuracy, try being more specific. For example, try saying the entire name of a program, the service (e.g., "...on YouTube TV"), or the name of your device, (e.g., "...on Chromecast").
If you want to stop playing content on your speaker or display, say "Ok Google, stop." If you want to start controlling the remote device that is playing, you must first say "on [device]" to the next command you make to this remote device. For example: "Ok Google, next video on TV."