Keep an eye on what matters by streaming your security camera on your TV using Google Nest or Home speaker or display and Chromecast or a TV with Chromecast Built-In.
What you'll need
- Security camera set up with the partner app
- Google Nest or Google Home speaker or display
Step 1. Set up your security camera
Set up your security camera by following the steps provided by the device maker. Here's how to set up your camera with the Nest app.
Step 2. Set up your device
If you haven't set up your Chromecast and speaker or display, follow the steps below. If you've already set up these devices, you can skip this step.
Step 3. Connect your security camera to your Google speaker or display
- Open the Google Home app .
Verify that the Google Account shown is the one linked to your speaker or display. To switch accounts, tap another account or Add another account.
- Make sure that your security camera is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Google Nest or Google Home speaker or display.
- Verify that the home listed is the one in which you want to pair your security camera. To switch between homes, click the triangle to the right of the home name.
- At the top-left corner, tap Set up device Have something already set up?
- Tap the device to pair.
- When the pairing is complete, tap Done.
Note: If you've already set up a Nest thermostat, you may have to unlink and relink your Nest account to see your Nest Cam(s).
Step 4. Link TVs using the Google Home app
Note: The following steps are optional. If you have multiple Chromecast devices and TVs, you can follow these steps to link all your devices and choose a default TV when playing videos from your speaker or display.
- Make sure your mobile device or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi or linked to the same account as your Chromecast, or speaker or display.
- Open the Google Home app .
- At the top right, tap your account.
- Verify that the Google Account shown is the one linked to your speaker or display. To switch accounts, tap another account or Add another account.
- Tap Assistant settings Devices Add…
- The Google Home app will search for remote devices on the same Wi-Fi network as your speaker or display. Note: You may find a list of devices that aren’t voice-supported. These can’t currently be linked to your speaker or display, but they'll be available soon.
- To add a device, tap the tick box next to the device name. You can select multiple devices. Tap Add.
- You'll find linked remote devices, TVs and speakers section of the Google Home app .
Note: If you get an 'Error when linking device' error message, you must factory reset your Chromecast device.
Step 5. Use voice commands to stream your security camera to your TV
To do this:
Say "Ok Google", then…
"Stop [TV/Chromecast device name]"
Fix a problem
"HA Cast" error when streaming an Arlo camera to your TV
If you're seeing an "HA Cast" error message on your TV when streaming an Arlo camera, try the following workaround:
- Turn off the motion-detection recording setting on your camera.
- Try to stream again.
- Arlo is currently working on a fix for this issue.