If Google Nest or Google Home speaker or display stopped working or you received an error message similar to: "Actually, there are some basic settings that need your permission first. Just go into the Google Home app on your phone for more details," you may have turned off the following Activity controls in Google Account. These settings must be turned back on.
Important: Make sure you're signed into the same Google Account that is linked to Google Nest or Google Home.
- Web & App Activity saves your search activity on apps and browsers to make searches faster and give you customized experiences in Search, Maps, and other Google products. You can also choose to save your Chrome browsing history and activity from websites and apps that use Google services.
- Device Information stores your contacts, calendars, apps, and other device data to improve your experience across Google.
- Voice & Audio Activity helps recognize your voice and improve speech recognition by storing your voice and audio inputs to your account.
- Depending on your device, open Google settings in one of these places:
- Settings app Google
- Google Settings app
- Tap Personal info & privacy Activity controls.
- Under Web & App Activity, slide the slider On Turn on.
- Check the check box next to “Include Chrome browsing history and activity from websites and apps that use Google services.”
- Under Device Information, slide the slider On Turn on.
- Under Voice & Audio Activity, slide the slider On Turn on.
Here’s more about Activity controls.
Manage your Google Assistant activity from the Home app
Using the Home App, you can see a history of Google Assistant activity. You can also view details on specific activities, or delete them from your history.
To learn more about Google Assistant, go here.
Check your Google Assistant activity history
- Open the Google Home app .
- At the top right, tap your account.
- Tap My Activity .
View details about an activity
You can see details about an activity, such as when the activity took place and what device was used.
Next to an activity in your history, tap Menu Details.
Delete an activity from your history
Next to an activity in your history, tap Menu Delete Delete.