You can find and make your favourite recipes using step-by-step cooking instructions from your Google Assistant on Google Nest and Google Home speaker or display. *This feature is available in the following languages: Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Spanish, and Swedish.
Note: If Digital Wellbeing is enabled, this feature may be restricted or blocked by Downtime, Filters or Do Not Disturb. Learn about Digital Wellbeing.
Step 1: Find a recipeOption 1: Ask your Google Assistant for a recipe
Say "Hey Google, find me a <food> recipe" and your Assistant will provide a quality recipe from one of our supported partners.
Note: You can't request a specific recipe by name or by source using your voice. To choose a specific recipe, follow the "Find a recipe on your phone or tablet" steps below.
If you want to browse recipes or have a specific recipe in mind, you can search for a recipe from one of our supported cooking partners on your phone or tablet and send it to your speaker or display. Note: Desktop is not supported. You must have a phone or tablet.
- Make sure that the Google Account signed in to your mobile phone or tablet browser is the same account used to link to your speaker or display. Here's how to check which Google Account you're signed in to on your mobile phone.
- Open the Google Chrome app .
- Tap More Settings the account listed is the one that you're signed in to.
- To change the account, tap the account name choose the account that you've linked to your speaker or display, or add account.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Safari app.
- Go to www.google.com.
- At the top right, look for your profile image. If you see it, you're already signed in. If not, complete the sign in steps.
- Open the Google app .
- The Google Account at the top right of the app screen is the account that you’re signed in to.
- To change the account, tap your account choose the account that you've linked to your speaker or display, or add this account.
- Open the Google app .
- The Google Account at the top right of the app screen is the account you’re signed into.
- To change the account, tap your account choose the account you've linked to your speaker or display, or add another account.
- Open your phone's Settings app .
- Scroll down and tap Users & accounts.
- Make sure the account listed is the one linked to Google Home.
- If the account isn't listed, tap Add account.
- From your phone or tablet, type your recipe into the search bar or scroll through the mobile recipe carousel of the Google app or mobile web.
- When you find a recipe that you like, tap Cook.
- To start the recipe, say "Hey Google, start recipe". You can start this recipe using your voice within 24 hours after sending it to your speaker or display.
Step 2: Prepare the ingredients
After choosing your recipe, say "Prepare the ingredients” and your Assistant will start reading ingredients. Say “Hey Google, next ingredients” to hear more ingredients.Tip: If you've already gathered and prepared your ingredients, say "Skip to the instructions”.
Step 3: Follow the instructions
Next, your Assistant reads the instructions in individual steps or in clusters of three. You can ask your Assistant to repeat steps, set a timer, convert teaspoons to tablespoons and more using the commands below.
|To do this…||Say, "Ok Google" or "Hey Google", then…|
|Hear top recipes||"Find me a lasagna recipe", "I want to make banana bread"|
|Start a recipe that you’ve sent to Google Home||"Start recipe"|
|Repeat step or ingredient||"Repeat step", "Repeat ingredient"|
|Get next ingredients||"What's the next ingredient?", "Next ingredient"|
|Get an ingredient quantity||
"How much butter?"
|Get how-to tips||"How do I cream sugar and butter?" "Can I replace baking soda with baking powder?"|
|Get a conversion||
"How many grams are in an ounce?" "What is 10 ml in fluid ounces?"
|Get cooking/preparation time||“What’s the total cook time?” “What’s the total prep time?”
“What’s the total time?”
|Get calorie count||“How many calories?”|
|Get serving size||“How many does this serve?”|
|Ask about cooking temperature||“What was the temperature?”|
|Set a timer||"Set a timer for 10 minutes"|
Return to recipe
Tip: Use these commands to re-initiate the recipe flow. For example, lasagna takes 30 minutes to bake. When the timer goes off, say these commands to restart the recipe instructions
|Exit recipe||"Stop cooking"|
Save your favourite recipes with Cookbook
You can save recipes and return to them later with Cookbook.
|To do this…||Say "Ok Google" or "Hey Google", then…|
|Save a recipe||Save
Save this recipe
Add this recipe to my Cookbook
|Access saved recipes||Show me my Cookbook
Show my saved recipes
Note: You can access saved recipes on your smart display and in your Google app on Android. To access saved recipes in your Google app, open the app tap More Collections. You can also see your saved recipes online at Google Collections.
Play music while cooking
Enjoy your favourite cooking-inspired music while making your meal. Tip: Don't use the general command "Hey Google, next" when listening to music and cooking instructions at the same time. Instead, use "Next song" (Music) and "Next step" (Cooking) to distinguish between the two actions.
For a video demonstration, take a look at this YouTube video.