Initial checklistFirst, make sure:
- Your Google Nest or Home speaker or display is powered on and plugged into a wall outlet.
- The microphone isn't muted.
- For Google Home: On the back of the device, touch the microphone mute button. Your Assistant will say whether the microphone is muted.
- For Google Nest Mini (2nd gen) and Google Home Mini (1st gen): On the side of the device, toggle the mic switch. Your Assistant will say whether the microphone is muted.
- For Google Nest Audio: On the back of the device, next to the power cord, toggle the mic switch. Your Assistant will say whether the microphone is muted.
- For Google Nest displays: On the back of your display, use the switch to turn on the microphone. Your Assistant will say whether the microphone is muted.
- The LED dots on top of your speaker or display will spin or blink when you say “Ok Google” or "Hey Google."
- If your Assistant answers other questions, try to ask the unanswered question in a different way.
If you've checked off all of the steps above and your Assistant still doesn't provide an answer, try one of the steps below and ask your question again. If you still don't get an answer, move to the next step.
Step 1. Reboot your speaker or display
- Disconnect the power cable from your device.
- Reconnect the power cable.
Step 2. Make sure your device recognizes the hotword
Say “Hey Google” to your speaker or display. Check if the LED dots on the top of your device spin or blink, indicating that it recognized the hotword.
Step 3. Make sure your device recognized the question correctly
- Ask your Assistant the question again.
- Say "Hey Google, repeat the question" to make sure your Assistant understood you correctly.
- If it's still not recognizing the question, try to speak slower or try another question.
Step 4. Adjust the hotword sensitivity of your device
If your speaker or display often has trouble activating when you say “Hey Google” or "Ok Google,” you can adjust how sensitive Google Assistant is to “Hey Google.”
If your Assistant still can't answer the question, submit a feedback report from the Google Home app.
Step 1. Turn on device reports
- Make sure your mobile device or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi or linked to the same account as your Chromecast, or speaker or display.
- Open the Google Home app .
- Select the device you want to share feedback about.
- At the top right corner of the screen, tap Settings Recognition & sharing.
- Turn on Send device usage and crash reports.
Step 2. Share your feedback
- Open the Google Home app .
- At the top right, tap your account.
- Tap Feedback tap the type of device you'd like to submit feedback for.
- To display available emails, in the "From:" section, tap the arrow on the right. Select your email address.
- In the feedback summary, write a brief description of your issue.
- Be sure to check the box for Screenshot and System logs.
- To submit feedback, at the top right corner, tap Send .