Make sure that your phone or tablet meets the requirements below. Also check that the app and your device's OS are both up to date. If not, you may experience issues using either app.
Your phone or computer’s operating system needs to meet the minimum requirements below or newer to use Google Nest devices and third-party products with the Home and Nest app.
Home app requirements
- A Google Account
- A home Wi-Fi network
- One of the following mobile devices:
- Android phone or tablet with Android 8.0 or later
- Android tablet with Android 8.0 or later
- iPhone or iPad with iOS 15.0 or later
Nest app requirements
Note: The Nest app is not available in all regions and languages.
The table below outlines the minimum requirements to install and use the Nest app on different devices.
Android phones and tablets
Bluetooth LE requirement for Android phones and tablets
A few functions of the Nest app require Bluetooth low energy (BLE), which first appeared in Bluetooth 4.0.
Many Android phones and tablets include BLE. Chances are, if you bought your device within the last few years, it has BLE. To check, go to the technical specifications on your phone or tablet manufacturer’s website to find out if your device uses Bluetooth 4.0 or later.
You can use the Nest app on a device without BLE. Many of the app’s features will work without BLE. But if you want to use the following features, your device needs to have BLE.
- Google Nest Protect
- 2nd-gen Nest Protect needs BLE for App Silence and Safety Checkup with the app. If you want to use App Silence and Safety Checkup on an Android device, you also need to have Android 5.0 or later.
- 1st gen Nest Protect doesn't have, or need, BLE.
Google Nest Thermostat
BLE is not needed (applies to all thermostats).
- Google Nest Cam
- Nest Cam needs BLE for setup with phone or tablet (or you can set up your camera with a computer instead using USB instead of BLE).
Terms of Service and privacy
The Google Terms of Service and supplemental Nest Terms of Service apply to use of the Google Home app and devices set up via the app.