Nest Renew is a service for your compatible Nest thermostat that makes it easy to support clean energy at home.1 It works with your Nest thermostat to help you automatically shift your usage2 to times when your grid is cleaner or energy is less expensive. That way, it’s simple to track the positive difference you’re making to the environment and communities across the country.
Nest Renew is free to join. For $10/month, you can extend your positive impact even further with Renew Premium that can match the fossil fuel electricity used in your home with enough clean energy to cover the average U.S. household. This is done with purchases of renewable energy credits from U.S. wind and solar.3
Nest Renew requires a 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat, Nest Thermostat E, or the newest Nest Thermostat, connected to a migrated Google Account (sold separately).
Nest Learning Thermostat
|Nest Thermostat E|
To participate in Rush Hour Rewards, your Nest thermostat also needs to be connected to a specific type of heating and/or cooling unit.
Nest Renew is free to join, and for those who want to increase their impact, Renew Premium is available in select locations.
Nest Renew (Free to join with compatible Nest thermostat)
- See your Power: Nest Renew helps you know when the electricity coming into your home is cleaner, and when it’s not so clean, so you can make more informed choices about how you use energy.4 Even taking small actions when the grid is less clean, like turning off extra lights or running the laundry a little later, can start to add up.
- Energy Shift: Energy Shift4,5 can work with your compatible Nest thermostat to help you automatically prioritize usage of cleaner or less expensive energy, and tune up your thermostat schedule to run efficiently in both summer and winter seasons.
- Impact you can see: Watch the positive effects of supporting clean energy add up. Get Leafs and regular reports that help you track your actions and impact over time. When you reach a Leaf milestone, you can extend your positive impact by directing Nest Renew funds to nonprofit partners.6 By helping support clean energy, you’re now also helping to steer our support of community projects around the country.
Nest Renew Premium ($10/month)
With Nest Renew Premium, you get all the features Nest Renew as well as the following:
- Clean Energy Match: Clean Energy Match can match the fossil fuel electricity used in your home with enough clean energy to cover the average U.S. household. This is done with purchases of renewable energy credits (RECs) from U.S. wind and solar. This means that as more people join, and as more renewable energy sources are created, the more our whole planet benefits. Learn how this is done with renewable energy credits.
Note: Nest Renew will be purchasing RECs from wind and solar plants in the United States. The majority of these RECs will come from our flagship project Bethel Wind in Castro County, TX, with the remainder coming from US solar.3
Your Nest thermostat can help you save energy in multiple ways. Here are some examples:
- Schedule efficient temperatures when you’re away or asleep.
- Enable Home/Away Assist.
- Manually set efficient temperatures at any time.
- Set your thermostat to OFF mode.
To calculate your savings, we compare how long your heating or cooling system ran to how long we estimate it would have run if it were always set to certain comfortable temperature.
These comfortable temperatures are determined by looking at your thermostat activity over the past year. They may change over time as your behavior changes. This calculation is adapted from the EPA’s method of validating the energy savings of EnergyStar certified thermostats with one key difference: we report your monthly savings, while EnergyStar only calculates annual savings.
Nest Renew Premium and solar panels
Nest Renew Premium does not replace or affect the service you receive from your electricity provider. You can still enroll in Nest Renew Premium and amplify your support for clean energy even if your home has solar panels.
With Clean Energy Match, we purchase RECs based on the estimate of the fossil fuel-generated electricity used by the average US household. This is not determined by the energy mix of your specific electric utility provider, your solar panel production, or your particular service.
Nest Renew Premium and your local clean energy option
Nest Renew provides a way to support the growth of clean energy in the US, so it doesn’t conflict with any local clean energy option you might be enrolled in (like green tariffs from electric utilities or or community choice aggregators (CCAs)). Nest Renew encourages you to consider signing up for these options as a way to amplify your support for clean energy.
If you enroll in both a local program and Nest Renew Premium, you can amplify your impact to help support the growth of clean energy. Everything from the local program you enroll in should work the same, and the Renew Premium renewable energy credit still works without issues, resulting in broader support of carbon-free energy.2
Nest Renew Premium does not replace or affect the service you receive from your electricity provider. Even if you receive a renewable energy service from your electricity provider or have solar panels on your home, Google will still purchase RECs for you through Nest Renew Premium.
With Clean Energy Match, we purchase RECs based on the estimate of the fossil fuel-generated electricity used by the average US household. This is not determined by the energy mix of your specific electric utility provider or your particular service.
Manage multiple homes
You can purchase Nest Renew Premium subscriptions for up to 5 homes per Google Account.You may need multiple Nest Renew accounts (one Nest Renew account for each service address).
1 Nest Renew available in select locations.
2 Adjustments only shift electricity usage from your heating and cooling. Energy Shift is only available in areas served by major continental US grids, check Nest Renew availability. Prioritize less expensive energy only available for customers on certain electric utility time-of-use rates (check availability).
3 Learn how this is done with renewable energy credits. Nest Renew will be purchasing RECs from wind and solar plants in the United States. The majority of these RECs will come from our flagship project Bethel Wind in Castro County, TX, with the remainder coming from US solar.
4 Learn more about our Energy Impact Program.