Energy Shift4 can work with your compatible Nest thermostat1 to help you automatically prioritize usage of cleaner2 or less expensive energy3, and tune up your thermostat schedule to run efficiently in both summer and winter. You always remain in control and can change the temperature on your Nest thermostat at any time.
To adjust your Energy Shift preferences, log in to the Nest Renew portal in your web browser and go to Settings Energy Shift Settings. You can return to the Nest Renew portal anytime to adjust these preferences.
Energy Shift currently includes the following:
- The option to Prioritize cleaner energy shows on the Nest Renew portal. With this automation, Energy Shift works with your compatible Nest thermostat to help you automatically shift your heating and cooling usage to times when your power is cleaner.
- The option to Prioritize cheaper energy shows on the Nest Renew portal. With this automation, Energy Shift can work with your compatible Nest thermostat to help you automatically prioritize usage of less expensive electricity with your heating and cooling.
- To use this feature you’ll need to provide your time of use rate code in the Nest Renew portal and it must be a time of use rate that is supported by Nest Renew.
- Get automatic seasonal adjustments, which also show on the Nest Renew portal. Get two thermostat schedule adjustments at the start of summer and winter to help you save energy.
- The automatic adjustments will be less than 0.5° F/C. Small enough that you might not even notice, but it’ll help make your home more energy efficient.
- These adjustments are a new take on a feature called Seasonal Savings.
- Rush Hour Rewards (RHR) is a separate program that Nest offers through utility partnerships, and you can easily sign up alongside Nest Renew and Energy Shift.
- RHR helps the grid by helping you use less energy when everyone else is using more. You may also receive a financial incentive from your utility to join the program.
- If RHR is available in your area, you can get started with enrollment in the Energy Shift settings on the Nest Renew web portal.
- To learn more about RHR, please visit the Rush Hour Rewards article.
How solar panels work with Energy Shift
Energy Shift4 works with your home’s solar panels by helping extend the positive impact you’re already making. Your compatible Nest thermostat can prioritize energy usage when your local grid is cleaner2, or less expensive3.
When the power on your grid is less clean2, Energy Shift can respond by making small adjustments to your thermostat that can help reduce your energy usage. More of your generated solar power can be fed back to the grid, further reducing your community’s reliance on fossil fuel electricity sources.
If you have a ‘Time of Use’ (TOU) tariff through your utility provider, you can provide your TOU tariff on the Nest Renew website so Energy Shift can automatically adjust your thermostat to prioritize use of energy when it is less expensive3. Learn more about Time-of-use energy rates.
How “prioritize cleaner energy” works
To prioritize cleaner energy, Energy Shift helps customers automatically adjust their Nest thermostat's temperature setting for short intervals of time (usually no more than 60 minutes) to:
- Shift your thermostat setpoint up on hotter days and shift it down on cooler days.
Depending on the time of day, your current setpoint, weather or other relevant factors, Energy Shift may or may not result in shifted or reduced usage of electricity from your heating and cooling system. You always remain in control and can change your Nest thermostat temperature any time and also disable this feature by going to the Nest Renew portal Settings Energy Shift settings Turn Prioritize cleaner energy off.
How “prioritize cheaper energy” works
If you’re on certain electric utility time of use rates, you can enter your rate code in the Nest Renew portal and Energy Shift can work with your compatible Nest thermostat to help you automatically prioritize the usage of less expensive energy. The feature works by helping you automatically make small adjustments to your thermostat temperature set points.
You remain in control and can change your Nestthe thermostat temperature anytime and also disable this feature by going to the Nest Renew portal Settings Energy Shift settings Turn Prioritize cheaper energy off.
Depending on the time of day, your current setpoint, weather or other relevant factors Energy Shift may or may not result in shifted or reduced usage of electricity from your heating and cooling system.
1 Nest Renew requires 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat, Nest Thermostat E, or the newest Nest Thermostat (sold separately), connected to a Google Account.
2 Only available in areas served by major continental US grids, click here for more info.
3 Only available for customers on certain electric utility time-of-use rates (check availability).
4 Energy Shift makes small adjustments to your Nest thermostat setpoints which can shift electricity usage from your heating and cooling system.