Invest in Communities with the Energy Impact Program
Climate change affects us all, but not equally. Our fossil-based energy system has disproportionately impacted frontline communities, communities of color, and low-income communities for generations. As we transition to a carbon-free electric grid, it’ll be vital to support programs that help build this new energy economy in a way that’s just and equitable.
With Nest Renew, you earn Leafs by using the service and taking actions that can save energy at home and help the environment. As you reach Leaf milestones, you can direct Nest Renew funds to your choice of nonprofits from our list of partners across the US. We aim to support work in the following areas:
- Expand Clean Energy Access: Nest Renew’s nonprofit partners work to expand clean energy access and bring the benefits of clean energy to underserved communities. These projects can provide direct access to clean energy, and may enable communities to achieve financial savings associated with clean energy installation.
- Increase Energy Affordability: Millions of US households struggle with energy insecurity, spending a disproportionate portion of their income on energy needs. We support nonprofit partners addressing this challenge by providing underserved communities with programs designed to improve energy efficiency, decrease energy costs, and increase home comfort and safety.
- Support Clean Energy Careers: Transitioning to a clean energy economy can create millions of jobs, but will require training. Nest Renew supports non-profit organizations offering career training programs to transitioning and underserved populations.
Check your energy impact
You can check your energy impact in the Nest Renew portal. Here’s how:
- Sign into your account on the Nest Renew portal.
- Scroll down on the homepage to quickly check progress to your next Leaf milestone.
- Select the Impact tab to see a more complete picture of your progress and impact.
The Nest Renew Leaf is an extension of the Nest Leaf that you earn with Nest thermostats already. Now you can also earn Leafs by using Nest Renew features such as Clean Energy Match (Nest Renew Premium only)2, running Energy Shift3, committing to monthly challenges, and more.
Leafs are an easy way to track your positive actions, and help you understand how your choices matter every day and how those choices add up over time.
You can earn Leafs in the following ways:
- Earn a Leaf by selecting energy saving temperatures on your Nest thermostat, just as you do today. Learn more about Nest Leafs in our Help Center.
- Earn a Leaf each time Energy Shift runs to prioritize cleaner or cheaper energy.3
- Earn more each time Energy Shift runs a schedule tuneup.
- Earn a Leaf each day that you visit the Nest Renew dashboard to check your power mix and click the Get today’s Power Leaf confirming that you’re now ready to take additional action at home.
- Earn more Leafs by committing to the monthly challenge on the Nest Renew dashboard.
- For those who want to extend their impact with Nest Renew Premium, they can get 5 Leafs daily with Clean Energy Match.2
With monthly challenges, you earn extra Leafs by committing to additional actions that can help the environment. These challenges can teach you about steps you can take at home to save energy, help the environment, or both.
On the first of each month, Nest Renew sends a Monthly Impact email that includes the prompt for the monthly challenge. From there, you can open the provided link to access and commit to the challenge in the Nest Renew portal. You can also access the monthly challenge at any time in the portal dashboard.
For each challenge you complete, you’ll earn 10 Leafs.
When you collect enough Leafs to reach a Leaf milestone, you can extend your positive impact by directing Nest Renew funds to nonprofit partners. This way, you’ll be helping steer our support of clean energy and community projects around the country.
When you reach a Leaf milestone, you’ll receive a message on your Nest thermostat. You’ll also receive an email that will direct you to the Nest Renew portal to choose your partner and program area to support.
Here’s how you can redeem a milestone:
- Sign into your account on the Nest Renew portal.
- Select the Impact tab.
- Below your Leafs and milestones, the number of unredeemed milestones and available clean energy programs will appear.
- Select Support program to learn more about a specific program.
- Select Yes to support this program or Choose a different program to go back.
- Select Done.
1 Nest Renew requires 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat, Nest Thermostat E, or the newest Nest Thermostat, connected to a Google account (sold separately). Available in select locations.
2 Renew Premium subscription required. Learn how this is done with renewable energy credits. During the preview phase Nest Renew’s RECs will be sourced from the Bethel Wind farm in Castro County, TX, which also provides renewable energy for Google.
3 Adjustments only shift electricity usage from your heating and cooling. Only available in areas served by major continental US grids, see here. Prioritizing usage of less expensive energy only available for customers on certain electric utility time-of-use rates (check availability).