Investing in Communities with the Energy Impact Program
Climate change affects us all, but not equally. Our fossil-based energy system has disproportionately impacted frontline communities, communities of color and low-income communities for generations. As we transition to a carbon-free electric grid, it will be vital that there is support for programs that help to build this new energy economy in a manner that is just and equitable.
Renew gives users a means to help steer our support to nonprofit partners on the ground working for an equitable clean energy future. We aim to support work in the following areas:
- Expand Clean Energy Access: Nest Renew’s nonprofit partners work to expand clean energy access and bring the benefits of clean energy to underserved communities. These projects can provide direct access to clean energy, and may enable communities to achieve financial savings associated with clean energy installation.
- Increase Energy Affordability: Millions of US households struggle with energy insecurity, spending a disproportionate portion of their income on energy needs. We support nonprofit partners addressing this challenge by providing underserved communities with programs designed to improve energy efficiency, decrease energy costs and increase home comfort and safety.
- Support Clean Energy Careers: Transitioning to a clean energy economy can create millions of jobs, but will require training. Nest Renew supports non-profit organizations offering career training programs to transitioning and underserved populations.
Through the Nest Renew experience, users earn Leafs by actively using the service and taking actions at home that can save energy and help the environment. As users reach certain Leaf milestones, they can direct Renew funds to their choice of nonprofits from our list of partners across the US.1 As we go forward we’ll work with our non-profit partners to understand how Renew can have the most impact in the communities they serve. Stay tuned for more about the Energy Impact Program and how to get involved.
Check your energy impact
You can check your energy impact in the Nest Renew portal. Here’s how:
- Sign into your account on the Nest Renew portal.
- Scroll down on the homepage to quickly check progress to your next Leaf milestone.
- Select the Impact tab to see a more complete picture of your progress and impact.
The Nest Renew Leaf is an extension of the Nest Leaf that customers have been earning with Nest thermostats already. Now you can also earn Leafs by using Nest Renew features such as Clean Energy Match, running Energy Shift, committing to monthly challenges, and more.
Leafs are an easy way to track your positive actions, and they help you understand how your choices matter every day and how those choices add up over time.
You can earn Leafs in the following ways:
- Earn a Leaf by selecting energy saving temperatures on your Nest thermostat, just as you do today. Learn more about Nest Leafs in our Help Center.
- Earn a Leaf each time Energy Shift runs to prioritize cleaner or cheaper energy.
- Earn more each time Energy Shift runs a schedule tuneup.
- Earn a Leaf each day that you visit the Nest Renew dashboard to check your power mix and click the “power leaf” confirming that you are now ready to take additional action at home
- Earn more for committing to the monthly challenge on the Nest Renew dashboard.
- For those who want to extend their impact with Nest Renew Premium, they can get 5 Leafs daily with their Clean Energy Match.
Monthly challenges let you earn extra Leafs for committing to additional actions that can help the environment. These challenges can teach you about steps you can take at home to save energy, help the environment, or both.
On the first of each month, Nest Renew sends a Monthly Impact email that includes the prompt for the monthly challenge. From there, you can open the provided link to access and commit to the challenge in the Nest Renew portal. You can access the monthly challenge at any time in the portal dashboard.
For each challenge you complete, you’ll earn 10 Leafs.
When you collect enough Leafs to reach a Leaf milestone, you can extend your positive impact by directing Nest Renew funds to nonprofit partners.2 By helping support clean energy, you’ll also be helping to steer our support of community projects around the country.
When you reach a Leaf milestone you’ll receive an email that will direct you to the Nest Renew portal to choose your partner and program area to support. You’ll also receive a message on your Nest thermostat.
Here is how you can redeem a milestone:
- Sign into your account on the Nest Renew portal.
- Select the Impact tab.
- Below your Leafs and milestones, the number of unredeemed milestones and available clean energy programs will appear.
- Select Support program to learn more about a specific program.
- Select Yes to support this program or Choose a different program to go back.
- Select Done.
If you live in Illinois, Massachusetts or New Hampshire, you won’t be able to redeem milestones that you’ve earned at this time. We are working to expand the ability to redeem Leafs over time.
1 Directing of Nest Renew funds is not available in all states.
2 Directing of Nest Renew funds not available in all states. See section above regarding geographical limitations.