Smart home control upgrade for Google Home devices
We’re rolling out a software update to help you continue to use smart home devices and try new features on your Google Home device.
To check if your device needs this update, say a command such as "Ok Google, turn on the lights." If you hear a message to update, follow the steps below.
Note: If you've already updated your devices, you don't need to update them again.
Step 1. Relink devices
- Open the Google Home app .
- At the bottom-right corner of the Home screen, tap Account .
- Tap Settings Assistant tab Home control.
- Tap Relink Account.
- Complete the partner setup steps.
Step 2. Connect third-party devices
- In Home , tap Add .
- Tap Set up device Have something already set up?
- Search for the manufacturer of the device, then follow the steps.
- When the pairing is complete, tap Done.
You can name a device with the same name you assigned to it in the partner app, or create a nickname in the Google Home app.
- In Home , tap the device in which you want to change the name.
- At the top-right corner of the device card, tap the Settings .
- Tap Name enter a nickname Save.
Note: Nicknames are alternative ways to reference devices in the Google Home app. Nicknames that you've assigned to devices in the Google Home app are not reflected in the partner app.
Step 4. Assign devices to a room
To control your devices more easily, assign them to a room.
Add or change a room
- In Home , you'll see devices connected to Google Home.
- Tap a device Settings Room .
- Tap to choose a room.
- To add a room that’s not listed, scroll down and tap + CUSTOM ROOM enter a room name OK.
- Tap Save.
Note: You can add each device to only one room.
You can check for new devices that haven’t been assigned to a room.
- In Home , tap the room that you want to rename.
- At the top-right corner of the device card, tap the Settings Save.
- Tap OK Done.
- In Home , tap the room that you want to delete.
- At the top-right corner of the device card, tap the Settings Delete room.