Smart home control upgrade for Google Home devices
We’re rolling out a software update to help you continue to use smart home devices and try new features on your Google Home device.
To check if your device needs this update, say a command like “Ok Google, turn on the lights.” If you hear a message to update, follow the steps below.
Note: If you've already updated your devices, you don't need to update them again.
Step 1. Relink devices
- Open the Google Home app .
- In the top left corner of the Home screen, tap Menu .
- Verify that the Google Account that is listed is the one linked to Google Home. To switch accounts, click the triangle to the right of the account name.
- Tap More settings Home control.
- Tap a device with a red exclamation point. Note: Don't see any icons? Your software is already up to date.
- Tap Relink Account.
- Complete the partner setup steps.
Step 2. Connect devices to your Google Home device
- In the "Devices" tab, tap Add .
- Tap the device you want to connect, then follow the steps.
- When the pairing is complete, tap Done.
You can name a device the same name you assigned it in the partner app or create a nickname in the Google Home app.
- In the "Devices" tab, you'll see devices connected to Google Home.
- Tap the device you want to set a nickname for.
- Tap Set a nickname enter a nickname OK.
- To see your device’s new nickname, tap Device details.
Note: Nicknames are alternate ways to reference devices in the Google Home app. Nicknames you've assigned to devices in the Google Home app are not reflected in the partner app.
Step 4. Assign devices to a room
To control your devices more easily, assign them to a room.
Add a room
- In the "Rooms" tab, you'll see devices connected to Google Home.
- Tap Add .
- To choose a room, tap the radio button to the left of the room name. Tap Next.
- To add a room that’s not listed, scroll down and tap + CUSTOM ROOM enter a room name OK.
- To add a device to that room, tap the box next to the device name Done.
Note: You can add each device to only one room.
- In the "Rooms" tap room you want to add devices to.
- Under "Add devices," choose the devices you want to add, or tap Select all to move all devices into that room.
- Tap Done.
You can check for new devices that haven’t been assigned to a room.
- In the "Rooms" tab, tap the room you want to move a device from.
- Next to the device you want to move, tap Move.
- Choose a room you’d like to move it to.
- To add a room that’s not listed, scroll down and tap + CUSTOM ROOM type a room name OK.
- Tap Done.
- In the "Rooms" tab, tap the room you want to rename.
- Tap the room name again, then enter a new name.
- Tap OK Done.
Step 1: Move device's out of the room
A room has to be empty before deleting the room. See the above steps to change a device's room.
Step 2: Delete the room
- In the "Rooms" tab, tap the room you want to delete.
- At the top, tap Delete OK.