Activity controls and Google Home
If Google Home stopped working or you received an error message similar to: "Actually, there are some basic settings that need your permission first. Just go into the Google Home app on your phone for more details," you may have turned off the following Activity controls in My Account. These settings must be turned back on.
Important: Make sure you're signed into the same Google Account that is linked to Google Home.
- Web & App Activity saves your search activity on apps and browsers to make searches faster and give you customized experiences in Search, Maps, and other Google products. You can also choose to save your Chrome browsing history and activity from websites and apps that use Google services.
- Device Information stores your contacts, calendars, apps, and other device data to improve your experience across Google.
- Voice & Audio Activity helps recognize your voice and improve speech recognition by storing your voice and audio inputs to your account.
- Go to your Activity controls.
- Under Web & App Activity, slide the slider On Turn on.
- Check the check box next to “Include Chrome browsing history and activity from websites and apps that use Google services.”
- Under Device Information, slide the slider On Turn on.
- Under Voice & Audio Activity, slide the slider On Turn on.
Here’s more about Activity controls.
Elise is a Google Home expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.