Listen to radio
With Google Home, you can use your voice to listen to terrestrial or internet/satellite radio stations through Google Home or a TV or speaker with Chromecast built-in.
Use your voice to listen to radio
Here are some ways to talk with your Google Assistant on Google Home when choosing and listening to terrestrial and internet/satellite radio.
|To do this:||Say "Ok Google" or “Hey Google,” then...|
|Listen to closest radio station by name||“Play Mega 97.9 FM," “Play ESPN Radio," “Play Mega 97.9 on iHeartRadio”, “Play WNYC”|
|Listen to radio station by call-sign||"Play KQED", Play KFOG”|
|Listen to radio station by frequency||“Play 98.5"|
|Listen to radio station by frequency in another location||"Play 98.7 New York"|
|Listen to radio station by name in another location||“Play Z100 in Portland,” “Play Z100 in New York”|
|Play radio on TV or speaker with Chromecast built in||“Play CNN RADIO on my <device name>”|
|Play a nearby NPR station||"Play NPR"|
|Pause||"Pause" or "Pause the radio"|
|Resume||"Resume" or "Continue playing"|
|Stop||"Stop" or "Stop the news"|
|What radio station is playing||“What's playing?”|
|Control volume||"Set volume to 5," "Set volume to 40%"|
Other ways to control radio
|To do this:||Touch the device like this:||Image|
|Play / Pause / Stop||Tap once on the top of the device|
|Turn up the volume||Swipe clockwise on the top of the device.|
|Turn down the volume||Swipe counterclockwise on the top of the device.|
|Start your request||Press and hold down on the top of the device|
- Make sure your mobile device or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Google Home device.
- Open the Google Home app .
- In the top right corner of the Home screen, tap Devices to see available Google Home devices.
- Scroll to find the device card for the Google Home.
- On the device card, you will see the radio stations or show that is currently playing.
- You can stop, pause, resume, and adjust the volume of Google Home from the device card—the same way you control your music.
- If Google Home doesn't play the radio station you requested, be more specific with your query, or ask for the station in different way, using name, frequency, or call sign.
- If the request is not properly answered, try adding "on TuneIn" or “on iHeartRadio” to the query. Example: "Play ESPN Radio on TuneIn” or "Play ESPN Radio on iHeartRadio."
- If the provided station is inaccurate when asking for frequency, try adding the name of a nearby city. Example: "Play 101.9 FM LA."
Elise is a Google Home expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.