Set up Google Clips
The Google Clips app will walk you through the process of setting up your Google Clips camera.
What you need to get started
- A Google Clips camera
- A Google Pixel or Samsung Galaxy S7 or S8 phone with Android 7.0 or greater
- The latest version of the Google Clips app
- A signed-in Google account
Set up your Google Clips camera
Follow these simple instructions to set up your Google Clips camera on your Android phone.
Note: Before set up, make sure your Android phone meets the requirements to use the Google Clips camera. Also, make sure your Clips camera is charged and the lens is turned off (twisted counter-clockwise).
Step 1. Install the Google Clips app on your Android phone
Step 2. Open the Google Clips app
Step 3. Follow the instructions in the Google Clips app to complete setup
- Tap Start Setup to begin the process of pairing your camera to your Android phone.
- Permissions: To connect to your camera and adjust settings, Clips needs access to your phone's location, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. Tap Allow Access to allow access to these features.
- Connect to your camera: The Google Clips app will begin to search for your camera. Press the shutter button on your camera to put the camera into setup mode. In setup mode, the top and bottom LEDs on the Google Clips camera will alternate pulsing white.
- If the Google Clips app finds your camera and it's the only camera nearby, you'll connect to the camera automatically.
- If the Google Clips app finds multiple Clips cameras nearby, you'll be prompted to select your camera from the list, then tap Connect. When your camera is selected in the Google Clips app, it's LEDs should light up as shown in the app. Otherwise, your camera can be identified by the last 4 numbers of the camera's serial number, which is printed on the bottom of the camera next to the USB-C charging port.
- If the Google Clips app cannot find your camera, make sure the camera has been properly charged and try again.
- If your camera is already connected to another phone, you'll need to either remove the camera from that phone in the Google Clips app installed on that phone, or factory reset the camera to continue.
- Updating Google Clips: Once the Google Clips app connect to your camera, the app will update the software on the camera. While your Clips camera is being updated, the Clips app will show you a variety of tips to help you get started. Once the update is complete, tap Next to continue.
- Learn from your photos: If you want Google Clips to get a head start on recognizing familiar faces it should capture, allow Google Clips to download and analyze photos from your Google Photos library by tapping Allow.
- Stay up to date on Google Clips: To receive promotional information and share feedback about Google Clips, toggle the slider to the right, then tap Continue.
- Google Clips is ready to use! Tap Finish and twist the lens clockwise to start capturing. Have fun!
Note: Bluetooth and Wi-Fi must be enabled on your Android phone in order for the Google Clips app to connect to your camera and install updates. If your Android phone's Bluetooth or Wi-Fi are turned off at any time during the setup process, the Google Clips app will prompt you to turn them on to continue.