Capture memories with Google Clips
Google Clips captures short clips that last several seconds (without audio) to help you remember big moments and little ones, too.
After setting up your camera, there are two ways to capture: you can let Google Clips decide which moments to capture automatically, or you can capture a specific moment by hand.
Capture clips automatically
Google Clips can automatically choose which moments to capture and keep, so you don’t need to be behind the camera. Your camera will capture clips when it sees a person or pet up close.
To begin, twist the camera lens clockwise to start capturing:
- Your camera will automatically capture clips when it sees a person or pet up close.
- While capturing, open the Google Clips app and start Live Preview to see what your camera sees. Check that your subjects are within the frame.
- Automatically-captured clips are 3 to 7 seconds long. Your camera will automatically trim out things like hands, extreme movement, or when the lens is blocked.
- A single LED on the front of your camera will pulse white every two seconds while capturing. If this LED is pulsing amber, your camera's battery or storage are running low.
When you're done, twist the camera lens back to stop capturing. Open the Google Clips app and connect to your camera at any time to view your clips.
Capture clips manually
If you want to capture something specific with Google Clips, you can always use the shutter button on the camera or in the app to get the shot.
Google Clips offers two ways to capture moments manually. After starting automatic capture:
Press or hold the shutter button on the camera.
Use the remote manual capture button in Live Preview in the Google Clips app.
Things to keep in mind:
- If you quickly press the shutter button and let go, Google Clips will capture for the next 7 seconds.
- If you press and hold the shutter button for longer than a second, Google Clips will capture until you let go of the shutter button (up to a maximum of 20 seconds).
- All three LEDs on the front of the camera will be solid white while you're manually capturing.
Tips for capturing
- When capturing, open the Google Clips app and start Live Preview to see what your camera sees. Check that your subjects are within the frame. Google Clips can still capture while Live Preview is open.
- Get your camera close to friends and family to capture expressions or excitement. Keep the camera within 3 to 8 feet of your subject for the best results.
- Get creative and create your own vantage point!
- Hold and point the camera
- Use the Clip stand
- Think about what the camera is seeing
Note: Once you've set up your camera in the Google Clips app, you can capture clips automatically or manually even when your phone isn't nearby. Just twist the camera lens, capture clips, and connect to your phone later to see what you got!
Learn more about capturing content like a pro with Google Clips.