Enable the campaign-level conversion setting
This article explains how to enable the campaign-level conversion setting in your Google Ads campaigns.
The campaign conversion setting lets you override the account-level “Include in “Conversions’” setting and specify conversion actions for a particular campaign (or group of campaigns). The “Conversions” column shows the action that you want to optimise for and is also used by Smart bidding. Other conversions not included are still reported in the “All Conversions” column, and are not incorporated into bidding models.
The campaign-level conversion setting is available for Search and Display campaigns.
By selecting specific conversion actions for your campaign, you can more granularly control which conversions show up in the “Conversions” column for each campaign. A few situations where this level of control is useful if:
- you have campaigns with separate marketing budgets targeted at different actions
- you have campaigns in the same conversion scope either in the same account with or part of the same manager account when using cross-account conversion tracking
Example: you sell shoes and clothing on your website and have two different conversion actions, one tracking shoe sales and another tracking clothing sales. You have several campaigns targeted at shoe lovers and other campaigns targeted at clothing shoppers. You might consider using the campaign-level conversion setting to include only shoe purchases on your shoe campaigns, but this would not be recommended. It’s likely that customers who may be initially looking for shoes end up clicking an ad that leads to your website where they find a piece of clothing that they like and purchase that instead or in addition to new shoes.
If you had used campaign-level conversion setting for this use case, then the automated bidding won’t observe and optimise against the clothing conversions from those valuable customers resulting in lower sales overall for your business. Instead, use a Target ROAS bidding strategy and assign appropriate conversion values to your shoe purchases and clothing purchases according to how much they are worth to your business.
Using the Conversion setting with Smart bidding
Smart bidding (including target CPA and Target ROAS bidding strategies), considers only conversions reported in the “Conversions” column when optimising towards your target. Machine learning based bidding models take time to adapt to any changes that you make to your conversion configuration. This is true both at the account level and at the campaign level. So if you decide to change your conversion actions at the campaign-level using the conversion setting, you should update your targets gradually over time as the bidding models adjust to newly reported conversions data. Otherwise, you may see unwanted fluctuations in spend.
Conversion action sets
If you choose to select specific actions at the campaign-level and you’d like to optimise more than one action, then you’ll be asked to select or create a conversion action set. Sets allow the bidding models to learn across campaigns, so it’s always recommended to use the same set across campaigns or to use the account-level include in “Conversions” setting when possible.
- Sign into your Google Ads account.
- In the campaign that you want to work with, click Settings.
- Click the Conversions setting under advanced settings.
- Click Choose conversion actions for this campaign.
- Click Select conversion actions.
- In the list on the left, select the conversion actions that you want.
- If you choose more than one conversion action, give the new conversion action set a descriptive name so that you can identify it when setting up other campaigns.
- Click Create a conversion action set.
- Click Save.
You can edit the conversions setting in bulk from the campaigns table
- Sign into your Google Ads account.
- Go to the Campaigns table
- Select the campaigns for which you want to edit the campaign-level conversions setting
- Click Edit
- Select Change conversion setting from the drop-down menu
You can add the conversion setting column to your campaign table to see what the conversion setting is for all campaigns at-a-glance.
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click Campaigns.
- Click the columns icon .
- Click Modify columns.
- Click Attributes.
- Select Conversion setting.
- Click Apply.