We recently announced Video action campaigns, a simple and cost-effective way to drive more conversions across YouTube. Video action campaigns automatically allow advertisers to expand their video ads to new places like the YouTube home feed in addition to the existing TrueView for action functionality.
Video action campaigns are currently in beta. If you're interested in participating in the beta, please contact your Google sales representative. Unfortunately, we can't enable Video action campaigns for Google Ads accounts that don't have a dedicated sales representative.
TrueView for action campaigns help drive leads and conversions by adding prominent calls-to-action (CTAs), headline text overlays and an end screen to your video ads. Using this video campaign subtype, you can encourage customers to explore your product or service, share their contact information and take other actions valuable to your business.
In this article, you’ll learn how to set up a TrueView for action campaign in Google Ads.
Note: Before you can set up a TrueView for action campaign, you need to set up conversion tracking. Learn more about conversion tracking.
How it works
TrueView for action campaigns use the skippable in-stream ad format. Ads in a TrueView for action campaign can use calls-to-action (CTA), headlines and an end screen in the creative. You can also add optional features to the creative, such as sitelinks or lead forms.
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- In the page menu on the left, click Campaigns.
- Click the plus button , then select New campaign.
- Select the Sales, Leads or Website traffic goal.
- For the campaign subtype, Drive conversions is automatically selected.
- Select the Video campaign type.
- Click Continue.
- Enter a name for your campaign.
- In the “Bidding strategy” section, set your bid strategy to Maximise conversions or Target CPA. If you select Target CPA, set the target amount that you’re willing to spend for a conversion.
- In the “Budget and dates” section, set your budget type, the start and end date for the campaign, and the budget delivery method.
- For the budget type, select Daily (the average amount you’d like to spend each day) or Campaign (the total budget you’d like to spend for the duration of the campaign) and enter the amount you’d like to spend.
- For the budget delivery method, select Standard (to spend your budget evenly over time) or Accelerated (to spend your budget as quickly as possible). If you select Accelerated, your budget may run out early.
- Under “Networks”, select where you want your TrueView for action campaign to appear. Provided your campaign is eligible, you can choose one or more of the following networks:
- YouTube videos: Ads can appear on YouTube videos, channel pages and the YouTube homepage. You can use in‑stream ads.
- Video partners on the Display Network: Ads can appear on Google video partner sites and apps.
- Select the languages and the locations you want your campaign to target.
- Choose your content exclusion settings to define where your campaign runs.
- (Optional) Click Additional settings to target specific devices, set a frequency cap and set a schedule for the ad.
- Enter a name for your ad group.
- Choose the demographics and audience types you want to reach.
- Choose the keywords, topics, and placements where you want your ads to show.
- If available, set your bid amount.
- In the “Create your video ad” section, search for a video you’ve uploaded or enter the video URL from YouTube. “In-stream ad” is automatically selected as the ad format.
- The video used in the ad should be at least 10 seconds or longer.
- Enter the final URL, which is the landing page that you want people to reach when they click your ad.
- Enter the display URL, which can be a shorter version of the final URL, or the same as the final URL.
- Enter a call-to-action, which should be compelling and direct people to the website specified in the final URL.
- Enter a headline, which will appear as the primary line of text that promotes your product or service.
- (Optional) Click Ad URL options (advanced) to add a tracking template, final URL suffix or custom parameters to the final URL.
- Select either an image that's automatically generated from the videos in your YouTube channel (recommended) or an image that you manually upload as your companion banner. Companion banners appear on computers only.
- Enter a name for your ad.
- Click Save and continue.