Just because your ad doesn’t appear when you perform a Google search, doesn’t mean your ad isn’t showing. Many factors determine when and where your ad shows.
1. Smart campaign ad status
Make sure the status of your campaign is set to "active."
- If your campaign is "pending" there is no action required of you -- your ads are being reviewed to make sure they comply with our Google Ads policies.
- If your campaign is "inactive" you must follow the instructions to address the issue with your campaign.
- If your campaign is "paused" you must toggle the status to "active" by clicking the drop-down arrow next to "paused" and clicking "resume campaign."
Your budget is one factor in determining how often your ads will show. If you want to increase how often your ads show, try increasing your budget.
Additionally, when you advertise on Google search results, you are competing with other advertisers who also want to show ads to people searching for what you offer. How much you are willing to spend on your ad determines how often and where your ads appear on Google search results. Learn more about keyword themes in Smart campaigns
3. Website quality
Make sure your website is high-quality and relevant to your Smart campaign ad. Learn more about how to improve your website
4. Ad quality
Google is committed to showing high-quality, useful ads. Make sure your ad is well-written and tailored for people looking for what you offer. Learn more about how to write effective ads for Smart campaigns
5. Keyword themes
Ensure the keyword themes associated with your Smart campaigns are accurate, precise, and relevant to your business, so your ads will only show for searches that are relevant to your business. Learn more about keyword themes in Smart campaigns
The keyword themes entered for your Smart campaign are used to match your ad with similar relevant searches and queries. These searches will appear as search terms in your dashboard.
6. Location settings
Your ads show to people physically in the locations you set up, and to people who express interest in these locations. Learn more about location settings
Other things to keep in mind
Searching for your own business on Google and clicking on your ad will cause you to be charged for that click.
You can be assured that if your Smart campaigns dashboard is reporting clicks and impressions, your ad is showing to users on Google.
How to preview your ad
To see how your ad will look to customers (without affecting its performance):
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click on the relevant Smart campaign.
- Go to the Ads card. You may have to click the scroll arrow if you have more than one ad to view all ad previews.
- To edit the ad(s) within the campaign, click on See details on Ads card, then click Edit Ad.
Note: If you have multiple ad versions, click Edit on the ad version you’d like to preview.
- Click See how your ad will appear.