Turn off or on search phrases in Smart campaigns
- Search phrases are terms that describe your business and help determine when your ad should appear.
- You can view your search phrases and their performance in your Smart campaigns dashboard.
- You can also easily turn off search phrases that don't apply to your business—and turn them on again if you change your mind.
How search phrases work
When you sign up for or create a Smart campaign, you'll be asked to choose a business product or service. Based on the product or service that you choose, we'll add a list of related words or phrases to your ad, known as "search phrases." Now, whenever someone in your targeted area searches for those phrases on Google or Google Maps, ads in your Smart campaign can appear and help attract new customers to your business.
You can't add more search phrases to your ad. But, if some of the assigned search phrases aren't a good fit for your business, you can turn them off by following the instructions below. It may also be helpful to review and update the product or service that you've chosen. The performance of search phrases is analyzed regularly and feedback is gathered to improve the search phrases.
If one of your search phrases is "dentist," your ad could appear when someone searches for dentist or similar terms, such as "dentist’s office."
Turn off or on search phrases
If your search phrases aren’t a good fit for your business, first make sure that the product or service you've chosen is as accurate and relevant to your business as possible.
If your business type is a good fit, but some of the search phrases don't apply to your business, you can remove a search phrase. You can always add it back later.
How to turn off or on search phrases
- Click All campaigns, and then click the name of the campaign you want to edit.
- Scroll the page down to the "Search phrases" card and click Manage all.
- In the "Status" column, click the button to turn off a specific search phrase.
- Note: If you change your mind later, you can click the button again to turn the search phrase back on.
- Click Save.