About expanded text ads in Smart campaigns
Expanded text ads are the next generation of text ads, designed for a mobile-first world with both consumers and advertisers in mind. Expanded text ads give you more control over your messaging, and provide customers with more information before they click your ad.
This article explains what expanded text ads are and how they differ from standard text ads in Smart campaigns.
What are expanded text ads?
Expanded text ads differ from standard text ads in a few important ways. They have:
- Two headline fields (up to 30 characters each)
- One longer description (up to 80 characters)
Luxury River Cruise Holidays - Book Your Getaway Today
Explore The World Along Rivers. Selected Locations On Sale!
Make the most of expanded text ads
Expanded text ads share a number of the best practices you’re already familiar with for standard text ads. But with almost 50% more ad text available and an extra headline, expanded text ads provide more opportunity for you to connect with potential customers and drive more qualified clicks to your website.
- Rethink the messaging of your ad. It can be tempting, but don’t simply add a second headline to your existing ads. Consider the entire message that you want to present, taking into account all parts of your new ad.
- Take advantage of your character limits. Expanded headline fields increase the clickable space of your ads, and allow you to communicate more to someone who’s searching before they decide whether to click through to your site.
- Focus on optimizing your headlines. People are most likely to read the headline of your ad. When viewed on the search results page, your ad’s headline fields are combined using a hyphen, “-”. On mobile devices, the headline may wrap beyond the first line. Consider the different ways that your headline may show when writing your ad to make sure that your ad is compelling and easy to read on different devices.
Frequently asked questions
How do expanded text ads work on mobile devices?
What are the character limits for expanded text ad fields?
Will all the ad text in my expanded text ad always show when my ad shows?
- If you use call extensions, the “Call” button may take the place of some of your ad text.
- If your ad text frequently uses wider characters (like “m”) instead of narrower characters (like “i”), your headline text may be wider than the space available for it on some browser sizes. With most Latin languages, you can avoid this by limiting your combined headline character count to 33 characters total.
How do I fix an error when creating or editing expanded text ads?
- Use the correct character limit for each field.
- Check the proper use of punctuations and symbols.
- Make sure your ad text doesn't have incorrect grammar or spelling.