- Your ads show to people physically in the locations that you select, and to people who express interest in these locations.
- Choose your location settings carefully. Only choose locations where your business does business. If your settings are too broad, you may end up paying for interactions with people who aren’t potential customers.
How it works
Where your ads show
Google Ads uses the following methods to determine the locations where your ads show:
- To people in your locations: Your ads can show to people who are regularly or likely to be in the locations you set up.
- To people searching for businesses in these locations: Some people who see your ads aren't in the locations that you select, but they might have included words related to your locations in their searches, such as postcodes or the names of nearby cities. People who show interest in both your chosen locations and in businesses like yours can see your ads.
- If you don't want your ads to show to people who are physically outside of your location, but include words relating to your location in their search, you can contact the Support team.
A dental office in London is setting up a campaign. Since the dentist’s patients are all in the London area, the campaign’s location settings are set to show ads within 25 miles of the office address. Ads show to people in this area who are looking for a dentist, and to people who search for 'Dentist in London', no matter where they’re located.
An online-only sporting equipment retailer is setting up a campaign. Although they're in Manchester, they deliver goods to customers all over the country. For their location settings, they select all the areas that they deliver to. Their ads show to people in these areas searching for sporting equipment.
A holiday-home rental company in Weymouth is setting up a campaign. Although they have vacationers from all over the world, they select Weymouth and nearby towns for their location settings. Their ads will show to anyone who searches for 'Weymouth holiday rental', no matter where they’re located.
How to edit your location settings
You can choose your location settings when you create a Smart campaign. To change your location settings after creating your campaign, follow the instructions below.
- Open the Google Ads app for Android.
- Tap the menu at the top, then select Account overview.
- Find the campaign that you’d like to see data for, then tap Details.
- Scroll down. In the 'Locations' card, tap Edit.
- Edit your location information as needed.
- Tap Save.
Choose your location settings
When choosing where your ad shows, you can choose either a radius around your business or specific postcodes, cities or regions. We show your ad to all locations within the areas that you select.