Set up shop sales (direct upload) conversion tracking
Shop sales (direct upload) lets you import offline transactions directly into Google Ads either yourself or through third-party partners. By matching transaction data from your loyalty programme or customer database, you can see how your Google ads translate into offline purchases. You’ll see aggregated and anonymised data by campaign and device for Search, YouTube and Shopping campaigns.
To be eligible to measure shop sales (direct upload) conversions, you need to:
- Track shop sales data in a customer relationship management (CRM) system
- Have a loyalty programme or other ways to collect customer information associated with offline transactions
- Upload transaction data every week or every other week
- Receive thousands of ad clicks or views and shop sales for the account each month
- Comply with the Shop sales (direct upload) policies
If you meet the above requirements, contact your account representative. Once whitelisted, create a shop sales conversion action in your account:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click the tools icon in the upper right-hand corner of your account.
- Under 'Measurement', click Conversions.
- Click the plus button to create a new conversion action.
- Click Shop sales.
- Select Shop sales (direct upload) and click Continue.
- You’ll see a message about Google’s policies for uploading data. To confirm that you comply with Google’s policies, click Confirm.
- Next to 'Conversion name', enter a name for the conversion that you’d like to track. This will help you recognise this conversion action later in conversion reports.
- Next to 'Count', select how to count your conversions.
- Every: This setting is best for sales, when every conversion is likely to add value for your business.
- One: This setting is best for leads, such as a sign-up form on your website, when only one conversion per ad click is likely to add value for your business.
- Click Conversion window. Select from the drop-down menu how long to track conversions after an ad interaction. The window can be 1 to 30 days. Learn more about conversion windows
- Click Create and continue.
- Click Done.
You have the option to create multiple shop sales conversion actions to track different types of transactions, such as product category and channel.
Import transactions into Google Ads
You've just set up your shop sales (direct upload) conversion tracking system.
Now, upload your offline transactions and events data.
Note: Small numbers in shop sales reports
Occasionally, shop sales may show low numbers, even '1'. This can happen if you’re looking at data on a more detailed level, such as segmentation by device. Because these numbers are modelled, extrapolated and anonymised, '1' doesn’t actually mean that one person clicked an ad and then made an offline purchase. You can read this as a value close to 1, or an average of 1.
While shop sales (direct upload) gives you a general overview of your campaign performance, shop sales reports are more precise when the numbers are larger. We recommend using reporting levels with at least 400 shop sales to evaluate your performance.