About automatic updates to Gmail campaigns
We will make the following changes automatically where necessary:
The following settings will change and may have an impact on your campaign, such as potentially increasing spend, as they are not compatible with the new Gmail campaign subtype:
- Frequency cap: Frequency capping will no longer be specified by the Google Ads user. All Gmail campaigns will have frequency capping determined by Google Ads.
- Mobile / tablet categories (app, interstitial, web): Gmail serving only supports top level categories (e.g. Mobile) but not subcategories (e.g. Mobile app interstitial). If a subcategory is selected, we will opt in the top category.
- Gmail apps will no longer be included in 'G-mob mobile app non interstitial' content type. If you have enabled this setting, you may start to see Gmail app traffic in your Gmail campaigns. To exclude Gmail apps going forward, use the 'Set specific targeting for devices' option in the "Devices" section of "Settings" for your campaign. Note: This change will apply to all Gmail campaigns, including ones that we cannot upgrade.
We will remove the following settings/targeting that have no impact on your campaign and are not compatible with the new Gmail campaign subtype:
- Location options (AOI)
- Content exclusions (except for the G-mob mobile app non interstitial exclusion, see above)
- Custom affinity
- Content keywords
- Third Party remarketing lists