When you edit an ad and save it, you create a new version of your ad. Version history lets you go back and see previous versions of your ad, as well as data on how those ads performed.
This article explains the benefits of version history and how to view version history for your ads.
How it works
When you edit an ad, such as change the final URL, you can see the old version of the ad by looking at its version history.
Version history includes the dates each version was edited, how long that version was in place for, and what changed.
The information about how long the version was in place can include review periods, or periods where the ad wasn’t showing, for example, because it was paused.
You can download a CSV report of your ad's version history.
Bear in mind
- Before your new ads start running, they’ll go through the ad approval process, which can take up to one working day.
How to see an ad’s version history
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- In the page menu along the left, click Ads & extensions.
- Find the ad you want to see version history for.
- Click the pencil icon to the right of your ad, and select See version history.
In the ads table, you'll see data on how different versions of your ad performed.
To test how well different versions of your ad perform simultaneously, create new ads (AdWords automatically shows better-performing ads more often by default.) This way, your original ad will keep running while you see how your new ad versions perform.