About ad suggestions
Ad suggestions are variations of your existing text ads that may boost performance of your Search Network campaigns.
Research has shown that ad groups with 3 or more high-quality ads can get up to 5% to 15% more clicks or conversions than ad groups with only 1 ad, provided ad rotation has been optimised. The more ads that you provide, the more options that you’ll have to show the ideal message for each user search.
Ad suggestions are initially surfaced in your account on the Recommendations page for you to review, and you can choose to apply, edit or dismiss them. Ad suggestions marked as auto-apply will start serving after 14 days if no action is taken. Ad suggestions are limited to no more than 50 suggested ads per week for each account. Since the programme only targets ad groups in which there's a potential for performance improvement, ad suggestions will only be provided for a small portion of ad groups, so you probably won’t see changes in the vast majority of accounts or ad groups – you may only see a few ad suggestions per account.
- Save time in creating variations of your existing ads.
- Free optimisation of ad copy.
How ad suggestions work
Ad suggestions may be automatically offered to advertisers who have ads running in any of the supported languages shown below. Ad suggestions will automatically apply 14 days after they're created unless you proactively apply, edit or dismiss them beforehand.
Ad suggestions that auto-apply will appear on the Ads & extensions page with the tag 'Auto applied ad suggestion', and Google will also notify you in various ways that these ads have been created. You also have complete control over whether to apply, dismiss, pause or edit them.
If you have ads running in any of the following languages, you may automatically see ad suggestions on your Recommendations page:
Note: Any account, regardless of language, can opt out of auto-applied ad suggestions.
When new ad suggestions are set to auto-apply, you’ll be notified in the following ways:
- An email with a link to review ad suggestions. Update your email alerts
- In your Google Ads account, an alert will appear near the Notification icon that ad suggestions will soon auto-apply.
- When you click on the Notification icon, it will state the day when ad suggestions are set to auto-apply and will invite you to review the ad suggestions.
- The Recommendations page indicates when ad suggestions will auto-apply and invites you to apply or dismiss them.
- Any ad suggestion that becomes auto-applied after 14 days will be labelled as an 'Auto-applied ad suggestion' on the Ads & extensions page.
- From the Recommendations page, you can apply, dismiss or edit ad suggestions, either individually or as a group.
- Once ad suggestions are applied, you can edit, remove or pause them – just like regular ads.
- You can control ad suggestion settings through your account settings.
Note: If you dismiss ad suggestions, you may still receive future ad suggestions.
If any of your ads in the ad group have limited approval, or have been disapproved, ad suggestions will not be created for that ad group. This may include ads that fall under categories like gambling, alcohol, pharmaceutical and payday loans. Learn more about limited approval ads.
Note: Ad groups that have limited approval due to trademarks are eligible to receive ad suggestions. Once ad suggestions are applied, the ads will go through the usual trademark checks.
How ad suggestions are producedTo help improve performance, a combination of human review and machine learning is used to create high-quality ad suggestions. Relevant content from your account used to create ad suggestions includes your existing ads, extensions and landing page. Google also uses additional signals such as keywords and targeting in order to optimise the ad copy.
How can I keep track of ad suggestions over time?
Which campaigns/ad groups will be eligible for ad suggestions?
Can I edit ad suggestions?
If the ad suggestion has been auto-applied, it will receive a tag 'Auto-applied ad suggestion'. Any edit to an ad suggestion will remove this tag, and the ad will no longer appear in the 'Auto-applied ad suggestion' column on the ads table.
To edit ad suggestions before they’re applied:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- From the page menu on the left, click Recommendations.
- If you see an ad suggestions card, click View (number) suggestions at the bottom of the card.
- Click View in the bottom right-hand side of the suggestion that you wish to edit.
- Update your ad as desired, then click Apply in the bottom right-hand corner to apply your changes and run the ad.