About payments profiles
In order to pay for your advertising costs, you need a payments profile. You set up this profile when you created your Google Ads account, but it can be changed at any time. The profile contains all of the key pieces of information that control billing and payments for your Google Ads account. These include:
- Who pays: The name and address of the person or company legally responsible for account costs.
- What you pay with: Stored payment methods used to pay for advertising costs.
- Tax information: The tax status, country, and ID associated with your account.
- Contacts: The names and contact information for people who are associated with the profile.
- Document language preference: In some countries, you may select a language for your billing and payments documents. Where selection is unavailable, the default language will be the official language of the billing country.
A payments account is a subset of the payments profile, which organises the current settings being applied to your Google Ads billing and payments activity. You will also see this referred to as an “invoice setup”. You can change your payments account by navigating to the Billing transfers page, clicking the Change billing button, then selecting Change invoice setup.
Each payments profile can have multiple payments accounts, or invoice setups, associated with it. You may want to have multiple setups so that you can manage billing and payments for multiple Google Ads accounts. For example, an agency can use invoice setups to manage billing activity for multiple clients. Payment methods and schedules are clearly organised, making it easier to forward invoices to individual clients.
Editing your profile
To edit your payments profile within Google Ads:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click the gear icon and choose Billing & payments.
If you’re using the new Google Ads experience, you won’t see a gear icon in your account. Instead, click the tool icon in the top right-hand corner. You'll find Billing & payments under the “Setup” header.
- Click Settings from the menu on the left.
- Find the "Payments profile" section and make changes to any field that has a pencil icon.
- Click Save
Use your profile in any Google product
Your payments profile makes it easy to use your payment methods in other Google Ads accounts, or to pay for services in other Google products, like Cloud storage or Google Analytics. This also means that if you have already established a payments relationship in an existing Google Ads account or in another Google product, you can choose to use that profile without reentering all your information or creating a new profile for Google Ads.
It’s important to remember that when you edit profile details, like payment methods, from within your Google Ads account, those changes will apply to other products that use the profile. Visit the Google payments centre for an overview of all products that would be impacted by an update.