You can use remarketing lists for Video campaigns to show personalized ads to viewers across YouTube, Google video partner sites, and Search. There are specific remarketing list types that are tailored to help you show your ads to people who have seen your YouTube videos. This article explains how to target these lists in Video campaigns.
Before you begin
- Before you can use remarketing for Video campaigns, you need to link your YouTube account to your Google Ads account. You can do this from either the YouTube channel or from within your Google Ads account. See how to link YouTube and Google Ads accounts.
- It's important to be careful using multiple types of targeting. If you use more than one targeting method at a time, Google Ads will apply them all. For example, if you target a specific keyword, age, and channel, your ads will only be shown when all those methods match your ad at the same time. This can restrict your impressions significantly. Therefore, it's not recommended to pair remarketing lists with multiple types of targeting, like demographics or interests. It's best to target broadly, and opt in to all video ad formats.
Note: Some lists aren't able to be used for certain campaign types.
Create a video remarketing list
- If you haven't already, link your YouTube and Google Ads accounts.
- Click the tools icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Under the section labeled “Shared library”, click Audience manager.
- From the page menu on the left, click Audiences lists.
- Select YouTube users.
- Create an Audience name.
- Choose your List members from the dropdown.
- Select the YouTube channel.
- Select the initial list size and membership duration.
- Click Create.
After your remarketing list has gained interactions from at least 1,000 viewers, you can use it for your ads and campaigns. Select the remarketing list you want to use while creating a new campaign or as a target for an existing video campaign.
Add a remarketing list to an existing ad group or campaign
- Select Audiences.
- Click the pencil icon .
- Select Campaign or Ad group from the dropdown menu.
- Click Select a campaign.
- Select the ad group or campaign you want to add a remarketing list to.
- Choose Targeting or Observation.
- Select the Audience you want to target and check the specific boxes related to the chosen Audience.
- Click Save.
If your Google Ads account is overseen by a manager account, linking your YouTube channel will allow the Google Ads manager account to access your YouTube channel metrics. If you have set up remarketing list sharing in your Google Ads account, a manager account can share remarketing lists that you’ve created with its other managed accounts.