Use message extensions
Let customers viewing your ads on mobile devices send your business a text message with just a tap. To win over people more likely to send a text message than to call, set up free message extensions for your text ads on the Search Network. You can reply to customers' text messages using your phone number or email address.
Before you begin
Message extensions require you to be able to receive, process, and send text messages. To learn about message extensions, go to About message extensions
Now take a moment to decide how broadly you want your message extensions to show. Should they show across all your campaigns? A few campaigns? An ad group? Once you’ve decided, you’re ready to follow the instructions below.
Keep in mind that message extensions are not guaranteed to show with your ad all the time. Learn more about when extensions show
You can create a message extension at the account, campaign, or ad group level.
Create message extensions
- Click the Ads & extensions page menu, then click Extensions at the top of the page.
- Click the plus button , then select Message extension.
- Select the account, campaign, or ad group you want to add the message extension to.
- Use an existing message extension, or create a new extension (this option is chosen by default).
- Enter the information for your message ads:
- User country code: Select the country code that should be shown in your ads.
- Message delivery: Select how you’d like to receive your customers’ messages: by phone or email. If you select:
- Email forwarding: Enter a valid email address you want customers’ text messages sent to.
- Phone number: Enter a phone number that’s capable of sending and receiving text messages.
- Business name: The name of your business. Your text should be 1–25 characters.
- Extension text: The text that will go in your click-to-message ad. It should be a call to action that encourages people to send you a text message. Your text should be 10–35 characters.
- Default customer message: Enter the default message that will appear in your customer’s text messaging app once they click on your message extension. Your text should be 10–100 characters.
- Your auto-reply message (optional): Your auto-reply message is automatically sent to customers who contact you through your message extension. If you don’t want to use an auto-reply message, leave this field blank. Your text should be 10–100 characters, and can include a URL.
- If you're in an eligible country, you may see an alert about message reporting, which gives you more detailed information about your messages. You can turn on message reporting by clicking the Settings page menu, then clicking Account settings at the top. Select Message reporting to make changes.
- Click Advanced options to restrict the message extension to certain dates or hours of the day.
- Click Save.