Create an App campaign
App campaigns allow you to promote your app across Google Search, Google Play, YouTube, Gmail, and within other apps and mobile websites on the Display Network. This article covers how to create one of these campaigns in your Google Ads account.
Before you begin
Ready to advertise your app? Click here.
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. If you’re still using the previous AdWords experience, choose Previous below. Learn more
Important: While campaigns based on app installs can be created in the previous AdWords experience, App campaigns for in-app actions can only be created in the new Google Ads experience. Learn more about how to switch between the new and previous Google Ads experiences.
- Sign in to AdWords.
- On the "Campaigns" tab, click the +Campaign drop-down menu, and select App campaign.
- Add a name for your campaign. To help you find your campaign later, you might want to indicate in the name that this is a App campaign.
- Select the app you’d like to promote from the drop-down menu, or click Add a new app... to enter a new one.
- In the "Ads" section, enter up to 4 independent lines of text that can be rotated in your ads in any order. Depending on the ad format, your text may not be used. Learn more about how these ads work
- Upload image assets for your ads.
- You can add up to 20 image files as .jpg, .gif, or .png with a maximum size of 150KB.
- Landscape images can be the most valuable format for native ads, while portrait images can be the most valuable for interstitial content.
- Other valuable formats include: 320x50 px, 320x480 px, and 300x250 px.
- You can also add up to 20 YouTube videos (including portrait videos) to be used for video ads.
- In addition, AdWords can make a video ad for you using assets from your app’s store listing.
- If needed, update any location or language settings. Keep in mind, AdWords doesn't translate your ads, so you should only target languages that match your ads.
- Under “Campaign Optimization,” choose to optimize your campaign for:
- Installs. Get new users for your app.
- In-app actions. Get new users who are likely to complete in-app actions that you select.
- Set your target bids. For app installs on Android, you may see a projection of install volume for a range of bid values if you have linked your Play and AdWords accounts. Learn more about bidding in App campaigns.
- Enter your budget.
- Click Save and continue.
- AdWords can count installs as conversions for Android apps in the Google Play store automatically. To track all other installs and key events, make sure to set up mobile app conversion tracking.
- Use square and vertical video to engage mobile customers
- If you've created your Google Ads campaign using your Google Play developer account, you should be able to see all of your app campaign's statistics in your developer console. Learn more about links to your Play Developer Console.u