Create a dynamic remarketing campaign
Dynamic remarketing campaigns are used to show your previous visitors ads with products or services they viewed on your website. These campaigns provide you with extra settings and reports specifically for reaching previous visitors.
This article explains how to set up a dynamic remarketing campaign.
Before you begin
You can only use dynamic remarketing with "Display Network" campaigns.
Keep in mind that your remarketing tag shouldn't be associated with any personally identifiable or sensitive information. Sensitive categories of websites and apps can't use remarketing. If you're setting up a remarketing campaign and placing the remarketing tag on your website or mobile app, you need to follow the Policy for advertising based on interests and location.
Note: Google Ads doesn't offer reporting for dynamic remarketing campaigns at the item level. If you want to see this granular level of reporting, you'll need to track these metrics within your own tracking system.
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. Note, automatic targeting is only available in the new Google Ads experience.
How to create a dynamic remarketing campaign
- Sign in to Google Ads.
- Click Campaigns from the page menu.
- Click the plus icon , then select New Campaign.
- Choose Display Network.
- Select Sales.
- Select Standard display campaign, then click Continue.
- Choose a campaign name, bid strategy and budget.
- In the Audiences section, select Remarketing and choose a remarketing list.
- Note: If you have no remarketing lists setup, we recommend you choose the AdWords optimized list which includes users from all app and web audience sources. It is quick to setup and for many users, this option performs better than manually segmenting, because it allows auto bidding to fully optimize the data it has on all users. Please follow the below steps to setup:
- Select a specific Audience.
- Click the Custom combinations dropdown, then select Google Ads optimized list.
- Select Done.
- Select Use a data feed for personalized ads.
- Choose the Business type that represents your products or services. If your business type is retail, select Retail and link your Google Merchant Center account. If your business type isn't listed, select Other (custom option).
- Click the plus button NEW AD, and create your ad.
- Select CREATE CAMPAIGN.
Note: You will be reminded to upload your feed when your campaign is ready.
Requirements for using HTML5 ads
HTML5 ads are not available for all advertisers.
You should automatically have access to HTML5 ads in your Google Ads account if your account meets the following requirements:
Account has been open for more than 90 days
Account has a good history of policy compliance
Account has more than USD 9,000 total lifetime spend
You can also request access to use HTML5 ads in your Google Ads account. You’ll need to apply for access, and your account must meet the following requirements:
Account has a good history of policy compliance
Account has a good payment history
Account has more than USD 1,000 total lifetime spend
Keep in mind, however, that meeting the requirements above doesn’t guarantee access to HTML5 ads. Once you submit your application, you’ll receive an email update within 7 business days.
Dynamic prospecting and dynamic remarketing
Dynamic prospecting brings user information and product information together to show your best product at the right time to the users who would be the most interested. Unlike dynamic remarketing, which is focused on getting the most value out of your existing customers, dynamic prospecting is used to acquire new users. This difference makes dynamic prospecting the preferable method if you’re a new advertiser or if you’re targeting an audience different from your own first-party data (including your remarketing lists).
How it works
Dynamic prospecting uses machine learning to get an idea for what potential buyers are looking for. Once the system knows what the user is after, it combines that possible intent with demographics-based information such as age, gender, and household income to match the user with a product in your feed. The products in your feed are evaluated based on performance, relevance, and other factors to determine which ones are most likely to catch the user’s attention and lead to conversions.
Adding dynamic prospecting to a dynamic remarketing campaign
- Sign into Google Ads and navigate to your campaign’s settings.
- Click on Additional settings.
- Click on the drop-down under “Dynamic ads.”
- This drop-down will select “No data feed” by default
- Click the checkbox next to “use a data feed for personalised ads”
- Select the relevant Data Feed from the drop down menu
- Click Save.
Note: To add targeting to a campaign, refer to the Dynamic remarketing for web setup guide.