Customer Match lets you target ads to your customers using the data they share with you. You create a CSV file including customer data and upload it into Google Ads to incorporate this targeting into your campaigns.
To successfully use your customer data file, it’s important to ensure that you format your customer data file correctly.
If you run into any issues with the upload process, learn how to fix customer list issues.
This article explains how to upload your data files to create customer lists.
Before you begin
For an overview of how Customer Match works, read about Customer Match.
For more information about how Google uses the data files you upload and how the matching process works, read How Google uses Customer Match data.
Keep in mind
Customer Match audiences don't expire, so membership duration is unlimited by default. You can control how long your customers are kept in a Customer Match audience, but it's best to refresh your list regularly. Google Ads will send you an email if your lists haven't been refreshed in a while.
Data sharing across accounts
You can share audiences across multiple managed accounts if:
- You have a Customer Match audience or similar audience in your manager account, or
- A client account shares their Customer Match audience or similar audience with your manager account.
All accounts using a Customer Match audience must comply with the Customer Match policy. Google does not allow sharing or usage of this data outside of your managed account. Only account owners and administrators with administrator access may add or remove customer data from Customer Match audiences.
Similar audience targeting that is based on your Customer Match audiences is available for Search, YouTube, Gmail, and Display. These similar audiences will be automatically created if your Customer Match audiences meet the minimum eligibility criteria. You can use a similar audience the same way you'd use a Customer Match or remarketing list: by adding it to an ad group or campaign.
When a similar audience is available, it will show the list size on each available network in your "Audiences" table. Once it's active, you can add your similar audience list to your targeting. If a list says "Incompatible" in one of the columns, that means the list isn't able to target on that property.
Zapier Customer Match integration
You can integrate your customer relationship management (CRM) system data sources with Customer Match using Zapier as your integration partner.
Zapier automatically uploads new contact details from your customer relationship management (CRM) system, eCommerce, or marketing automation tool where you collect a user's information, to your Google Ads customer lists. This means you don’t have to manually upload contacts to Google Ads, sort them into the right lists, or remove them from a list. You can automatically keep your uploaded customer lists refreshed and in sync with your CRM.
Using the Google Ads API
Account owners or administrators can also use the Google Ads API to upload data files and manage their Customer Match audiences. Advertisers can upload a data file, add or remove customer data, or edit configurations through the API. To learn more, visit the re-marketing section of the Google Ads API on the Google Developers website.
The following instructions will guide you through the process of uploading a customer customer data file to create a new Customer list.
- Click the tools icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Under the section labeled “Shared library” click Audience manager.
- Click Audience lists from the Page Menu on the left.
- Click the plus button to create a new audience list.
- Choose “Customer list.”
- Choose whether to upload a plain text data file or a hashed data file.
- If you choose to upload customer data in plain text, the private customer data in your file (Email, Phone, First Name, and Last Name) will be hashed on your computer using the SHA256 algorithm before sending it securely to Google's servers. Country and Zip data won’t be hashed.
- If you choose to hash your data, make sure it meets the requirements described in the Formatting guidelines for Customer list data files of this article.
- Choose your new file.
- If you agree, check the box “This data was collected and is being shared with Google in compliance with Google's policies.”
- Set a membership duration. The default membership duration is unlimited, but you can set a custom time limit.
- Click Upload and create list.
- You can view the progress of uploading your data file under "Audiences Lists". This process may take up to 48 hours to complete.