- Optimize your ad rotation. Optimizing your ad rotation will allow the system to serve the ideal ad for the specific circumstances of each auction.
- Implement 3-5 ads with one responsive search ad per ad group. The more relevant ads that are present in an ad group, the more options you’ll have for success in an auction. You’ll also be more likely to match what somebody’s searching for.
- Implement at least 3 extensions for each campaign/ad group. At the time of each auction, your ad unit will be assembled with the most appealing extensions. More eligible extensions give your ads more opportunity to meet users’ specific needs.
Successful marketers need to deliver the right messaging for the right moment. Better creative messages improve ad relevance and drive more qualified clicks from your Search ads.
In this Search ads guide for Google Ads, you’ll learn how to create compelling ads as people search on Google.com.
1. Write compelling, genuine ad copy
- Craft messaging that focuses on user benefits.
Why: Users respond to ads that speak to their needs.
- Tie your creative messages to your keywords.
Why: Users tend to engage with ads that appear most relevant to their search.
- Avoid generic language in your ads. Use specific calls to action.
Why: Generic calls to action often show decreased engagement with ads.
- Monitor ad strength for insights into how users may react to your ads.
Why: This metric is a valuable way to ensure you’re delivering the right messages to the right users.
2. Create messaging that reflects your brand and the products and services you offer
- Focus on your headlines.
Why: The content and quality of your headlines matters and will determine how well your ads perform.
- Be mindful of your character limits.
Why: Longer headlines increase the clickable space of your Search ads, but you might find that shorter headlines perform better for people already searching for your brand.
3. Set up your ads for success
- Implement all ad extensions that make sense for your business, trying for at least three.
Why: Ads with multiple extensions often perform better than ads with only one extension. They add useful info for searchers and help your message get noticed.
- Use keyword insertion and ad customizers if you have a lot of ads to maintain.
Why: You can tailor your creative messages to a user’s search while reducing your management overhead, including in your URL navigation fields.
4. Test and optimize creative messages
- Test and iterate your ad text.
Why: You can learn about your users’ preferences and improve your performance by honing ad text, especially your headlines.
- Add 3-5 ads per ad group with one responsive search ad per ad group.
Why: Multiple versions give you more options to succeed in each auction.
- Pick the right metrics to understand how your ads are performing.
Why: Many ad formats are about driving more impressions, clicks, and conversions. It’s not just about an ad’s clickthrough rate.
- Focus your testing efforts on high-value campaigns.
Why: Prioritizing your testing efforts on the places that matter most will help you see the biggest improvements from testing.
- Optimize your ad rotation to prefer the best performing ads
Why: Ads optimized to drive clicks can improve your competitiveness in auctions.