Search Advertising assessment study guide
A Guide to Bid Adjustments: Google Best Practices
Bid adjustments are an integral part of Google Ads that can help you improve performance. This guide is intended to help you set the best bid adjustments possible. Across ads on Search, Display and devices of all types, use your bid modifiers to meet your advertising goals.
1. Understand your goals and current performance
- Define your business goals and use those to set appropriate bid adjustments.
Why: The specifics of your business are the clearest way for you to determine how you optimise your bid adjustments.
- Factor in the total value, both online and offline, of different campaigns and devices.
Why: Attribution across channels and devices is still evolving. Don’t limit your potential because of technical limitations in measuring value.
- Understand your performance across different segments.
Why: Performance can vary across devices, locations, audiences and times. Significant performance differences should dictate your adjustments.
Get Started: Use segments in your Google Ads tables to better understand performance differences.
2. Automate your bidding in Google Ads
- Automate bids using Smart Bidding.
Why: Target CPA or Target ROAS automated bid strategies optimise by device, time, location and audience on an auction-by-auction basis.
Get Started: Set up an automated bid strategy in your account.
- Tailor your automated bidding to your own account’s needs.
Why: The strategies that work for you can be further customised to connect directly with what you know about your business.
Get Started: Use device bid adjustments to prioritise conversions by device.
3. Create a system for managing your bids
- Use base bids to hit your overall portfolio goals, and use bid adjustments to account for segment-level performance differences (by device type, time, location and audience).
Why: Bid adjustments are intended to bring your performance in line with your goals. They’re dependent on properly set base bids.
Get Started: Use bid simulators to see how bid adjustments can impact performance.
- Wait for enough data to make the right decision about your bid adjustments.
Why: You can miss out on opportunities if you neglect to account for conversion delays or have limited conversion data.
Get Started: Understand the impact of conversion delay in your account.
- Develop a strategy for overlap across different bid adjustments.
Why: The intersection of location, time of day, audiences and more can all have an effect on what a potential user could be worth to you.
4. Manage your bid adjustments for efficiency
- Plan to use campaign-level adjustments. Save ad group modifiers for any significant performance differences within your campaigns.
Why: Campaign-level adjustments are typically based on more data, so you can make decisions more quickly and be more confident in those changes.
Get Started: Add a bid adjustment to a campaign.
- Consolidate your campaign management and use bid adjustments to manage performance between segments within those campaigns.
Why: More control usually translates to more overhead. Increasing the number of campaigns you manage adds to your workload and opens the door for mistakes.