An engagement occurs when a consumer engages with an ad (for example, watching a video ad for at least 10 seconds). Engagements can help you understand how well your ad is performing. Relevant, highly targeted ads with attractive content can encourage viewers to engage more deeply with your brand.
Engagements by ad type
Engagements occur when customers take the following actions on these ad types:
- Lightbox ads: Expand the ad.
- Video ads: Watch 10 seconds or more of your video ad, or watch the entire video ad if it's shorter than 10 seconds.
- Video app promotion ads: Watch 10 seconds of the video ad (or the entire video ad if it's shorter than 10 seconds), or click on your video ad.
- In-feed video ads: Watch 10 seconds of the video ad when it's muted or click to view the full video.
|Metric||What it means|
|Engagements||Someone engages with your ad|
|Engagement rate||The number of times that people engage with your ad divided by the number of times that your ad is shown (each impression)|
|Average CPE||Average cost per engagement (CPE) is the average amount that you've been charged for an ad engagement.|
|Clicks||Actual clickthroughs to your site|
View engagements reporting
You can check the 'Engagements' column in the Google Ads statistics table to measure how people interact with your ads. If you don't see column, follow these steps:
- Click Campaigns, Ad groups or Ads & extensions in the page menu.
- Click the Columns icon above the statistics table.
- Click Performance, then select Engagements.
- If you don't see the Performance option, click the magnifying glass icon , then search for 'Engagements'.