Use conversion tracking to help you see how effectively your call ads and ads with call or location extensions lead to phone calls.
This kind of conversion tracking tracks a call as a conversion when it lasts longer than a minimum length you set. This way, you can filter out shorter calls that probably don’t include sales or other valuable actions for your business.
If you use another system to track when calls lead to sales or other conversions, you might want to create an import calls conversion action instead. Or, you can see all call conversion actions in About phone call conversion tracking.
This feature helps you understand how well your keywords, ads, ad groups, and campaigns are working for your business, allowing you to invest more wisely and help boost your return on investment (ROI). Conversion tracking also allows you to take advantage of automated bid strategies such as Target cost-per-action (CPA) and Target return on ad spend (ROAS), tools that help you automatically optimize your campaigns according to your business goals.
This article will show you how to track phone calls from your ads.
Here's what you'll need before you can set up conversion tracking for calls from ads:
- A Google Ads account: Don't have one yet? Sign up at Google Ads account.
- You'll need at least one: call extension, location extension with a call option or a call ad.
- Call reporting enabled in your account settings.
- A business in an eligible country: Call reporting is currently available in these countries.
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click the tools icon in the upper right corner of your account.
- Under "Measurement," click Conversions.
- Click the plus button .
- Click Phone calls.
- Select Calls from ads using call extensions or call-only ads, then click Continue.
- Next to “Category,” select a description for your conversion action from the drop-down. The category allows you to segment your conversions in reports, so you can see similar conversions together.
- Next to “Value,” select Each phone call is worth and enter a value for each call, or select Don’t assign a value.
- Next to “Count,” select whether to count every or one conversion per ad click. "Every" is best for sales; "one" is best for leads.
- Click Call length. Enter the minimum length, in seconds, that a phone call needs to last in order to be counted as a conversion.
- Click Conversion window. Select a conversion window (how long after an ad click you want to track conversions) for this conversion action. The window can be 1 to 60 days.
- (Advanced) Click Include in "Conversions." Opting into this setting—selected by default—will include data for this conversion action in your “Conversions” reporting column. If you uncheck this setting, data will still be included in the “All conversions” column.
Data in the “Conversions” column is used by automated bid strategies like Target ROAS, Enhanced cost-per-click (ECPC), or Target CPA. So, if you use an automated bid strategy to optimize for conversions, and you don’t want to include this particular conversion action in your bid strategy, you can uncheck this setting. Otherwise, leave it checked.
- Click Attribution model. This setting lets you choose how to assign credit for each conversion: to the last click a customer made before a conversion, the first click, or a combination of clicks. Learn more about each option and how this setting works in About attribution models.
- Click Create and continue.